Psalm 133 Aaron's beard

seekeroftruth

Psalm 133 A song of ascents. Of David.
1 How good and pleasant it is
when God’s people live together in unity!
2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
down on the collar of his robe.
3 It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.

I can't imagine how it would feel to have someone pour oil on my head until it runs down my face. I would hate that! But apparently it was a custom back when this poem was written.

This is from enduringword.com.

It is like the precious oil upon the head: In the ancient Middle East it was common to anoint one’s head with oil, sometimes as a greeting entering a home (Luke 7:46). This was done to refresh the one receiving the oil, and to give a good smell from the fragrance that came from the perfumed oils. Among God’s people, unity refreshes and makes a pleasant atmosphere for all.​

This is from biblehub.com.

Was a custom in general use among the Hebrews and other oriental nations, and its omission was one sign of mourning, Isaiah 61:3. They anointed the hair, head, and beard. At their feasts and rejoicings they anointed the whole body; but sometimes only the head or feet, Psalm 23:5 Matthew 6:17 John 12:3. It was a customary mark of respect to guests, Luke 7:38,46. The use of oil upon the skin was thought to be conducive to health. Anointing was then used, and is still, medicinally, Mark 6:13 James 5:14; but the miraculous cures thus wrought by the apostles furnish no warrant for the ceremony just before death called "extreme unction." The anointing of dead bodies was also practiced, to preserve them from corruption, Mark 14:8 16:1 Lu 23:56. They anointed kings and high priests at their inauguration, as also the sacred vessels of the tabernacle and temple, Exodus 30:26. This anointing of sacred persons and objects signified their being set apart and consecrated to the service of God; and the costly and fragrant mixture appointed for this purpose was forbidden for all others, Exodus 30:23-33 Ezekiel 23:41.​
The custom of anointing with oil or perfume was also common among the Greeks and Romans; especially the anointing of guests at feasts and other entertainments.​

As far as I can tell.... pouring oil on someone was a good thing. I guess, in the desert having soothing oil poured over a sun tinged face would feel most excellent.... and if it were fragrant oil.... it might help with the body odors..... remember... they didn't have degree or suave back then. I'm sure it was more ritualistic..... and not everyone could afford to just pour out their oil.

It is indeed good when people get together.... in peace.... in healing....

☕