Psalm 139 He knows

seekeroftruth

Psalm 139 For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,
and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

a. Psalm 139:17 Or How amazing are your thoughts concerning me

This is from Bible.org.

But the amazing thing is, this God who knows us so thoroughly, who knows every awful thought we ever have, desires to have a relationship with us. Because of our sin and God’s holiness, something had to be done to remove that barrier to our relationship with Him. With the first couple, God performed an object lesson that pointed ahead to His ultimate solution. Their fig leaves were not adequate; God slaughtered an animal and clothed them with its skin, showing them that they could not be restored to fellowship with a holy God without the shedding of blood.
That means that God has fashioned and has a purpose in this fallen world even for those whose bodies or minds are not perfectly formed. That God creates and ordains the days of each human life gives significance and value to each life and it strongly confronts the abortion of any baby, even if it is supposedly “defective.”
Remember Jonah? God wanted Jonah to do something. Jonah didn't want to do it. God gave instruction to Jonah. Jonah didn't follow the instruction. Jonah wound up in the belly of a big fish...... until he decided that he would do what God wanted him to do. Jonah conceded and went to Nineveh to tell the people there to repent. Jonah thought he would be beat to death if he confronted those evil people in Nineveh about their sins.... instead they changed their tune.... then Jonah got mad at God because God didn't destroy Nineveh.... which was the plan if the people didn't change their ways. Jonah was..... the guy who couldn't hide from God.

Life would be so easy if God would just tell me everything I'm supposed to do today to avoid falling down or hurting or going through the day without accomplishing one good thing. Life would be so much easier if God would just ..... wait.... if God did everything for me.... weighed every decision and warned me which was wise and which was wicked... then that would be instinct.... not respect. God gives us the urge to be good or bad.... and then we choose. Our choice is very public to God.... as a matter of fact.... since God controls time and space... our decisions are known to God before we make them. He's waiting for the surprises.... He's waiting for us to make good decisions based on sound Biblical principals. AND thankfully, He's there to bail us out when we mess up.

I wonder.... is this the poem David recited while Bathsheba's baby was dying?

☕