my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples[a] under me.
3 Lord, what are human beings that you care for them,
mere mortals that you think of them?
4 They are like a breath;
their days are like a fleeting shadow.
5 Part your heavens, Lord, and come down;
touch the mountains, so that they smoke.
6 Send forth lightning and scatter the enemy;
shoot your arrows and rout them.
7 Reach down your hand from on high;
deliver me and rescue me
from the mighty waters,
from the hands of foreigners
8 whose mouths are full of lies,
whose right hands are deceitful.
9 I will sing a new song to you, my God;
on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,
10 to the One who gives victory to kings,
who delivers his servant David.
From the deadly sword 11 deliver me;
rescue me from the hands of foreigners
whose mouths are full of lies,
whose right hands are deceitful.
12 Then our sons in their youth
will be like well-nurtured plants,
and our daughters will be like pillars
carved to adorn a palace.

13 Our barns will be filled
with every kind of provision.
Our sheep will increase by thousands,
by tens of thousands in our fields;
14 our oxen will draw heavy loads.[b]
There will be no breaching of walls,
no going into captivity,
no cry of distress in our streets.
15 Blessed is the people of whom this is true;
blessed is the people whose God is the Lord.

a. Psalm 144:2 Many manuscripts of the Masoretic Text, Dead Sea Scrolls, Aquila, Jerome and Syriac; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text subdues my people
b. Psalm 144:14 Or our chieftains will be firmly established

Once again.... David is asking God to do the miraculous. David is praying for a volcanic eruption!!! This is not just a thunderstorm... this is making the mountains smoke..... this is not just clouds forming over the tops of mountains and a thunderstorm.... this is a volcanic eruption!! right???

This is what the easy English site offers.

There seem to be two different psalms here. Verses 1-11 may be words that David prayed before he fought Goliath. This is what some Jewish Bible students think. The story of David and Goliath is in 1 Samuel chapter 17. Verses 12-15 are words that someone prayed for God’s people.​
This is from the Enduringword.com site.

This Psalm has the title, A Psalm of David. It was written from the time when David came to be recognized as the king over all the tribes of Israel, and expresses his heart for the nation in both war and peace.
“It appears from verse 2 and verse 10 of this Psalm, that it was composed after David’s accession to the throne. And it is evident, from verse 5, &c. that he had more enemies still to conquer, such as the Philistines, &c.” (George Horne)
So... I think it's safe to say that the scholars do NOT agree on when this was written. Neither of these two commentaries talk about a volcanic eruption.... they all discuss clouds before a thunderstorm.... as if God wouldn't use volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, or meteor showers.... oh wait He does.

Sometimes I wonder about the commentaries.... sometimes I just figure I must be wrong.

I think David asked God to save him..... I think David had experienced God's hand in action plenty of times..... and David knew God wanted to help in supernatural ways. God wasn't going to build a chariot for David.... but God would cause natural events that would bring the enemy to their knees.

☕