Psalm 15 Tents

seekeroftruth

Psalm 15:1Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
Who may live on your holy mountain?
2 The one whose walk is blameless,
who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander,
who does no wrong to a neighbor,
and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person
but honors those who fear the Lord;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
and does not change their mind;
5 who lends money to the poor without interest;
who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things
will never be shaken.
Well, I opened this chapter and saw how short it is. I was going to get a second cup of java.... but I decided to read first and mull while pouring. At first I thought.... "no one is this good".... then I thought "well God's that good.... so it must be about God".... and then I thought.... "well this one is going to be a doozie". Then I realized... I just posted a story about a guy getting a big head, thinking just because his "press clippings" were excellent... then he belonged in God's tent. [2 Chronicles 26 Rotting Uzziah] So by the time I poured my coffee and got back to my keyboard.... I had it figure out... it's about living with God.... in His tent.

I found a good commentary on this chapter at explainingthebook.com.

The Lord’s tabernacle physically was a literal tent. It housed the ark of the covenant, an altar, a table, a candlestick, and a number of other things. But it was a place where the Lord would meet with his people. It was a place of COMMUNION of man with God. And of course, since this psalm is written by David, we’re not talking about the TEMPLE. THAT hadn’t been built yet. The TABERNACLE was the place to go if you wanted to experience God’s presence. And eventually that tent and then later the temple would be built on God’s HOLY HILL – Mount Zion.
And so David is thinking of people who are not strangers to those places – to God’s tent and to his holy hill. He says that these people he’s meditating on – they ABIDE in God’s tent. The word “abide” usually emphasizes temporary residence. Sojourning. And that makes sense – because a tent is a temporary abode.​
And yet, David goes on to think of those who DWELL in God’s holy hill. That word “dwell” has more permanence about it. It’s also translated as SETTLE or INHABIT other places.
So, we’re focusing on those who are pictured as LIVING with the Lord, basically. Those who SOJOURN with him in this life in his tent. Those who SETTLE DOWN and TAKE UP RESIDENCE with him on his holy hill. In other words, those who KNOW the Lord on a personal basis – who feel AT HOME with him, so to speak.
Think about it.... I know a lot of people who I don't want to even invite into my house. I don't want them visiting me let alone living with me.

Of course... most of those people don't want to have anything with me anyway.... I'm not up to their expensive standards. They'd rather do anything than come to my house anyway. There are a lot of people in this world tho.... who would be welcome at God's place.... in fact... God's building on extra rooms for those humans. Those who fit the description in this poem.... they're the pick of the litter. God's Tent has restricted access.

In the other posting this morning.... good king Uzziah got a big head about himself and decided he was such a good king... he could be a priest too.... but God has rules.... one of the rules is... only certain people have to take on the treacherous duty of working in the Holy of Holies. Thy had to tie a rope around their waist so that if they messed up... the other priests could drag their dead body out. Uzziah thought he could just cross that line... after all he's a good king. Uzziah didn't get death... he got leprosy.... the skin on his big head started to rot away..... Uzziah actually got a second chance....

Here's a thought.... would you let a skunk live in your house????? Would you let a person who had just been sprayed by a skunk in your house???? Would someone who was once sprayed by a skunk...... but followed the rules and got the stink off before knocking... in your house???? It's better once the stink is gone... right?

God will let us come live with Him.... but He will have to wash the rot off of us first.

☕