Psalm 45 A wedding song?

seekeroftruth

Psalm 45[a]For the director of music. To the tune of “Lilies.” Of the Sons of Korah. A maskil.(b) A wedding song.
1 My heart is stirred by a noble theme
as I recite my verses for the king;
my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.
2 You are the most excellent of men
and your lips have been anointed with grace,
since God has blessed you forever.
3 Gird your sword on your side, you mighty one;
clothe yourself with splendor and majesty.
4 In your majesty ride forth victoriously
in the cause of truth, humility and justice;
let your right hand achieve awesome deeds.
5 Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king’s enemies;
let the nations fall beneath your feet.
6 Your throne, O God,[c] will last for ever and ever;
a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.
7 You love righteousness and hate wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
by anointing you with the oil of joy.
8 All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;
from palaces adorned with ivory
the music of the strings makes you glad.
9 Daughters of kings are among your honored women;
at your right hand is the royal bride in gold of Ophir.
10 Listen, daughter, and pay careful attention:
Forget your people and your father’s house.
11 Let the king be enthralled by your beauty;
honor him, for he is your lord.
12 The city of Tyre will come with a gift,[d]
people of wealth will seek your favor.
13 All glorious is the princess within her chamber;
her gown is interwoven with gold.
14 In embroidered garments she is led to the king;
her virgin companions follow her—
those brought to be with her.
15 Led in with joy and gladness,
they enter the palace of the king.
16 Your sons will take the place of your fathers;
you will make them princes throughout the land.
17 I will perpetuate your memory through all generations;
therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever.

a. Psalm 45:1 In Hebrew texts 45:1-17 is numbered 45:2-18.
b. Psalm 45:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
c. Psalm 45:6 Here the king is addressed as God’s representative.
d. Psalm 45:12 Or A Tyrian robe is among the gifts

This commentary is from biblestudytools.com. I don't agree with it... but I'm an old woman with an online Bible and a lot of online commentaries. It appears all of the commentaries agree with the premise that this is prophetic teaching about Jesus. To me... it's a wedding song... please remember... I don't do poems so the commentaries are probably right?

This psalm is an illustrious prophecy of Messiah the Prince: it is all over gospel, and points at him only, as a bridegroom espousing the church to himself and as a king ruling in it and ruling for it. It is probable that our Saviour has reference to this psalm when he compares the kingdom of heaven, more than once, to a nuptial solemnity, the solemnity of a royal nuptial, Mt. 22:2 Mt. 25:1 . We have no reason to think it has any reference to Solomon’s marriage with Pharaoh’s daughter; if I thought that it had reference to any other than the mystical marriage between Christ and his church, I would rather apply it to some of David’s marriages, because he was a man of war, such a one as the bridegroom here is described to be, which Solomon was not. But I take it to be purely and only meant of Jesus Christ; of him speaks the prophet this, of him and of no other man; and to him (v. 6, v. 7) it is applied in the New Testament (Heb. 1:8 ), nor can it be understood of any other. The preface speaks the excellency of the song (v. 1). The psalm speaks, I. Of the royal bridegroom, who is Christ. The transcendent excellency of his person (v. 2). The glory of his victories (v. 3-5). The righteousness of his government (v. 6, v. 7). The splendour of his court (v. 8, v. 9). II. Of the royal bride, which is the church. Her consent gained (v. 10, v. 11). The nuptials solemnized (v. 12-15). The issue of this marriage (v. 16, v. 17). In singing this psalm our hearts must be filled with high thoughts of Christ, with an entire submission to and satisfaction in his government, and with an earnest desire of the enlarging and perpetuating of his church in the world.To the chief musician upon Shoshannim, for the sons of Korah, Maschil. A song of loves.

☕