Psalm 52 More Dig Doeg

seekeroftruth

Psalm 52[a]For the director of music. A maskil(b) of David. When Doeg the Edomite had gone to Saul and told him: “David has gone to the house of Ahimelek.”
1 Why do you boast of evil, you mighty hero?
Why do you boast all day long,
you who are a disgrace in the eyes of God?
2 You who practice deceit,
your tongue plots destruction;
it is like a sharpened razor.
3 You love evil rather than good,
falsehood rather than speaking the truth.[c]
4 You love every harmful word,
you deceitful tongue!
5 Surely God will bring you down to everlasting ruin:
He will snatch you up and pluck you from your tent;
he will uproot you from the land of the living.
6 The righteous will see and fear;
they will laugh at you, saying,
7 “Here now is the man
who did not make God his stronghold
but trusted in his great wealth
and grew strong by destroying others!”
8 But I am like an olive tree
flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God’s unfailing love
for ever and ever.
9 For what you have done I will always praise you
in the presence of your faithful people.
And I will hope in your name,
for your name is good.

a. Psalm 52:1 In Hebrew texts 52:1-9 is numbered 52:3-11.
b. Psalm 52:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
c. Psalm 52:3 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here and at the end of verse 5.

David does not like Deog.... these are some nasty things he's spewing.... there's a death wish in verse 5! Dig Deog the Edomite went running to Saul to tell on the priests for giving David food. Then Saul ordered the death of those priests.... and Dig Deog was happy to oblige.

This is from the easy English site.

Saul was trying to kill David. David and his men ran away from Saul. They came to a house of God in Nob. They asked Ahimelech the priest for food. He gave them the special bread that only the priests should eat. He also gave David Goliath's sword. It was in the house of God at Nob.​
Doeg was a man from the country of Edom. He saw what Ahimelech did. Doeg worked for Saul. He went and told Saul what had happened. Saul thought that Ahimelech was giving David help to kill Saul. Doeg knew that this was not true, but he did not tell Saul. Saul told Doeg to kill Ahimelech and the other priests in Nob. Priests were special servants of God. They worked in the houses of God, or temples. Doeg killed 85 priests, and their wives and children.
In the psalm, David tells us that God will destroy people that say bad things and hurt other people. But people that trust in God instead of money will always praise God. The "always" means that they will praise God in heaven after they die.

David's singing the blues again.... or was this one of those "fight" songs.....

☕