Psalm 6 Had enough?

seekeroftruth

Psalm 6:1 (a) (b)Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint;
heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, Lord, how long?
4 Turn, Lord, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.
5 Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
Who praises you from the grave?
6 I am worn out from my groaning.
All night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.
8 Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the Lord has heard my weeping.
9 The Lord has heard my cry for mercy;
the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

a. Psalm 6:1 In Hebrew texts 6:1-10 is numbered 6:2-11.
b. Psalm 6:1 Title: Probably a musical term

This is from enduringword.com.

I am weary with groaning: God’s chastising hand was heavy upon David. His life seemed to be nothing but tears and misery. David’s trial has at least three components: He felt God was angry with him, he lacked a sense of God’s presence, and he couldn’t sleep.​
All night I make my bed swim: This is a good example of poetic exaggeration. David didn’t want us to believe that his bed actually floated on a pool of tears in his room. Because this is poetic literature we understand it according to its literary context. This understands the Bible literally – according to its literary context.​
My eye wastes away: David’s eyes were red and sore from all the tears and lack of sleep. “As an old man’s eye grows dim with years, so says David, my eye is grown red and feeble through weeping” (Spurgeon).​
Because of all my enemies: David is brought so low that his enemies no longer spur him to seize victory. He seems depressed and discouraged.​

David is so sorry for what happened in the past. As I read this psalm.... I see David sitting in a damp cave outside of town. He's hiding from his son Absalom and his son's troops. I'm sure he's been thinking about the mistakes he made along the way to put him in this consequence. This is the lament over the affair with Bathsheba, the murder of her husband and the death of her baby. This is a lament over his lack of action when Amnon raped Tamar. These are tears over the murder of Amnon at the hand of Absalom. I'm pretty sure David said many times "if I had done things differently" or "if I had known back then what I know now".

If I had known back then what I know now.... I'm pretty sure I would have run into another situation that would have given me yet another chance to make the right decision.... or the wrong decision.... because everyone I know who loves God is being groomed by God. Parents groom their children. That's what they do.

It's like when mom is brushing a kid's hair and the brush hits a tangle..... grooming can be painful....

☕