Psalm 66 Yeah Yeah Yeah

seekeroftruth

Psalm 66For the director of music. A song. A psalm.
1 Shout for joy to God, all the earth!
2 Sing the glory of his name;
make his praise glorious.
3 Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds!
So great is your power
that your enemies cringe before you.
4 All the earth bows down to you;
they sing praise to you,
they sing the praises of your name.”[a]
5 Come and see what God has done,
his awesome deeds for mankind!
6 He turned the sea into dry land,
they passed through the waters on foot—
come, let us rejoice in him.
7 He rules forever by his power,
his eyes watch the nations—
let not the rebellious rise up against him.
8 Praise our God, all peoples,
let the sound of his praise be heard;
9 he has preserved our lives
and kept our feet from slipping.
10 For you, God, tested us;
you refined us like silver.
11 You brought us into prison
and laid burdens on our backs.
12 You let people ride over our heads;
we went through fire and water,
but you brought us to a place of abundance.
13 I will come to your temple with burnt offerings
and fulfill my vows to you—
14 vows my lips promised and my mouth spoke
when I was in trouble.
15 I will sacrifice fat animals to you
and an offering of rams;
I will offer bulls and goats.
16 Come and hear, all you who fear God;
let me tell you what he has done for me.
17 I cried out to him with my mouth;
his praise was on my tongue.
18 If I had cherished sin in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened;
19 but God has surely listened
and has heard my prayer.
20 Praise be to God,
who has not rejected my prayer
or withheld his love from me!

a. Psalm 66:4 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here and at the end of verses 7 and 15.

This is from enduringword.com.

Say to God: The psalmist gives practical guidance for the those who want to praise God, telling them specifically what to say. He doesn’t mean this in a mechanical or unfeeling way, but as help to the hearts that truly want to praise God but needs some instruction as to how. It begins with what we say to God, words that we actually speak. There is a place for unspoken praise (Psalm 65:1) but spoken praise must not be neglected.
All the earth shall worship You: God may be praised in the recognition of His ultimate triumph over all the earth and in His worthiness to receive the worship and praises they rightly bring to Him.​
This is a "ditty".... that's what my Dad would have called this poem [song]. It's like the song.... "He's got the whole world in His hands". I don't know if this generation has heard that song. When I was a kid... one of my classmates had his family come to class to sing that "ditty" for us. Apparently.... as I recall the introduction.... they sang this song on a local TV show.... anyway... that kid was the first "professional" musician I ever met... and that was the song. I was pretty sure that my classmate was on a mission from God. Of course... back then the school day began with a Bible Verse, the Lord's Prayer, and the Pledge of Allegiance in that order. Oh and we read the verse, and said the Lord's Prayer out loud..... and it was legal.

"the whole world"..... that concept is important here.... David said the whole world would sing God's praises..... my class mate said God had the whole world in His hands..... was their whole world bigger than Gales Ferry, Conn., where I lived at the time? Was their whole world bigger than Jerusalem or Israel, or even the middle east? After all... when this praise was written... the people thought the world was flat. Now we've been to the moon.... does the whole world include the moon? How about Mars? I hear we're going to be colonizing Mars soon.... will God have Mars in His hands as well?
I keep seeing the footnote that says .... they don't know the real meaning of the word "Selah". I figured there would come a time when I would have the space and the point to make... to post my thoughts on the word "Selah".

Remember the Beatles? How could anyone not know the Beatles.... Paul McCarthy's first band [as my daughter calls them]. The first song I heard from the Beatles was "She Loves You". So... now I can finally post this.... "She loves you.... yeah yeah yeah...." what does "yeah yeah yeah" mean? It's like Selah.... a nonsense word that completes the rhythm of the beat.

To me... this poem/song.... is pure praise and worship.... it tells everyone that God has the Whole World in His Hands.... He created it... so He's big enough to carry it.....

God carrying the earth like a basketball..... I think God's got game!

☕

Last edited: