let me never be put to shame.
2 In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me;
turn your ear to me and save me.
3 Be my rock of refuge,
to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
4 Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,
from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel.
5 For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord,
my confidence since my youth.
6 From birth I have relied on you;
you brought me forth from my mother’s womb.
I will ever praise you.
7 I have become a sign to many;
you are my strong refuge.
8 My mouth is filled with your praise,
declaring your splendor all day long.
9 Do not cast me away when I am old;
do not forsake me when my strength is gone.
10 For my enemies speak against me;
those who wait to kill me conspire together.
11 They say, “God has forsaken him;
pursue him and seize him,
for no one will rescue him.”
12 Do not be far from me, my God;
come quickly, God, to help me.
13 May my accusers perish in shame;
may those who want to harm me
be covered with scorn and disgrace.
14 As for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.
15 My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds,
of your saving acts all day long—
though I know not how to relate them all.
16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;
I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.
17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your mighty acts to all who are to come.
19 Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens,
you who have done great things.
Who is like you, God?
20 Though you have made me see troubles,
many and bitter,
you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
you will again bring me up.
21 You will increase my honor
and comfort me once more.
22 I will praise you with the harp
for your faithfulness, my God;
I will sing praise to you with the lyre,
Holy One of Israel.
23 My lips will shout for joy
when I sing praise to you—
I whom you have delivered.
24 My tongue will tell of your righteous acts
all day long,
for those who wanted to harm me
have been put to shame and confusion.
This is from Biblestudys.org.

Psalm 71: This psalm is clearly the prayer of an elderly man threatened by his enemies (verses 9, 18). Before expressing his petition proper, the psalmist first states a brief introduction to his petition (verses 1-4). He reinforces these words with a marvelous statement of his lifelong trust in the Lord (verses 5-8). This section is rich with expression of trust and communion with God: “Thou are my hope” (verse 5), “thou art my trust (verse 5), “thou are he” (verse 6), “thou are my strong refuge” (verse 7), “thy praise and … thy honor (verse 8). The impression is left that the psalmist is a mature man of faith who reacts to his troubles with implicit trust in God. His actual petition and lament are now given (verse 9-13). It is a prayer for help for himself and judgment for his enemies. Further, he expresses his confidence in being answered (verses 14-21), and his consequent praise (verses 22-24).​
When I first opened this poem.... and started to read... I saw two things.... one... this isn't listed as a poem by David.... the others have had David's name on them... this one doesn't.... and two.... well I hate to say it.... but I thought.... I've said these things.

Well then I opened the commentary.... and all the commentaries are saying someone old and gray wrote this....

The commentary I posted is the kindest to the author.... an elderly man.....

Trusting in God doesn't mean making a list of all the great things that have happened in life and attributing them to some unseeable thing..... Trusting God means even the worst thing can turn out ok. Life doesn't have to be great all the time... there are some really cruddy things that go on in the world and those cruddy things affect us all in one way or another..... Once you are "elderly".... let me tell you..... as one who is "elderly"... every day has lots of reasons to Thank God.

When things are too horrible.... and you're elderly..... and you're a Christian..... you can always count on one saying..... and I have used it numerous times....

"What's the worst thing that can happen? I can die? If I die... then I go to Heaven! So that's the worst that can happen?!?"

I'm an old grey haired woman with an online Bible and some online commentary. I've been fighting metastatic colon cancer for years..... and I've used that statement many many many times..... I KNOW that the only reason I am not screaming in pain every second of every day is my faith in God..... It is impossible for me to be fighting cancer with Walmart brand tylenol, some water pill, some laxatives, and some MMJ..... but it happens for me every day.... and I have the nerve to call out God from his busy schedule when I drop something on the floor.... why in the world would I want God to take the time to dam something on my floor when He's doing so much for me....

Yep... maybe this is about an old man....

☕

Last edited: