Psychologist vs. Psychiatrist?

KWAK

I have a very good friend who recently had a baby and showing signs of the baby blues in a bad way. She is looking to talk to someone to get help - and we're confused on whether a psychiatrist or a psychologist is the way to go. I googled and found some of the bigger differences (one prescribes meds, the other doesn't - and the differences in training. I was/am under the impression that a psychiatrist is more for meds and not talking - where a psychologist is only about talking. Is that right to say?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I have a very good friend who recently had a baby and showing signs of the baby blues in a bad way. She is looking to talk to someone to get help - and we're confused on whether a psychiatrist or a psychologist is the way to go. I googled and found some of the bigger differences (one prescribes meds, the other doesn't - and the differences in training. I was/am under the impression that a psychiatrist is more for meds and not talking - where a psychologist is only about talking. Is that right to say?

I would think her primary gp would be the best place to start. S/he would know who best to refer the patient to.

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
Her OB/GYN would usually be the one to prescribe something. Also her family doctor could. If neither of them can then they would refer her to a psychiatrist. If she wants counseling for her issues she can just see a therapist.

Seamaid

She needs to go to a psychiatrist right away. May not be a bad idea to go to her GP first, with consideration of health insurance. It is usually not recommended for the GP to treat this as it is not their expertise.

dn0121

This place can be very helpful and not too pricey Pathways, Inc.

We promote the mental, emotional, and physical well-being of the individual through the shared exploration of pathways to healthy living. Since 1981, Pathways has been providing innovative mental health services to persons in Southern Maryland. Headquartered in St. Mary’s County, we are a private, nonprofit corporation. We offer comprehensive rehabilitative, treatment, and vocational services as well as affordable housing to adolescents and adults. We are the longest operating and largest provider of community-based mental health services in St. Mary’s County. Psychiatric treatment and counseling is available to anyone in need of these services, although our primary age focus is those who have at least reached adolescence.

They are in Hollywood and Charlotte Hall.

Also just found out they are listed here Health Care/Mental Health Care & Support - Southern Maryland Online

poster

Her OB/GYN would usually be the one to prescribe something. Also her family doctor could. If neither of them can then they would refer her to a psychiatrist. If she wants counseling for her issues she can just see a therapist.

I was blue after mine and my OB prescribed something right away - funny thing was as soon as he told me I was, "fine-take these", I felt better right away and never had to use them.

Try calling the insurance company and asking for a list of covered doctors. I recently called for a friend with CareFirst and was advised to make the appointment and the doctor would get the authorization at that time, the catch was that they couldn't get an apppointment for a month. Send her to the OB to try to at least get on meds while you wait for the appointment.

Hope all goes well for her.

C

czygvtwkr

Psychologist is cheaper and more for this. Pshchiatrists are allowed to perscribe drugs and are needed for the real wack jobs but cost much more and there are far fewer of them, they are true medical doctor where a Psychologist is not.

But a GP or OB/GYN is your best bet at first.

GreenHornet

Psychologist is cheaper and more for this. Pshchiatrists are allowed to perscribe drugs and are needed for the real wack jobs but cost much more and there are far fewer of them, they are true medical doctor where a Psychologist is not.

I see both a Psychatrist and a Psychologist regularly. Psycholgists practice talk therapy, Psychiatrist's deal with the medical side of depression. Your friend is suffering from what sounds like depression which is common after woman give birth and her GP will know how best to treat her. Talk therapy (psychologist) is more for people who are depressed because of a situation. To say that a psychatrist is only for whack jobs is just ignorant and wrong! Your friend needs help and its a shame that some will place a stigma on how she gets help if it's from a psychiatrist. Many woman require some meds after giving birth and there's no shame in that.

Good luck, I hope your friend gets better.

K

Kain99

If she is dealing with depression she needs a psychiatrist. he will perscribe meds and recommend a psychologist. :huggy:

signora

Psychologist are less money then a psychiatrist, but a psychologist is more for counseling and listen to to see what's causing the postpartum depression and true they can't prescribe meds. Whereas a Psychiatrist can do both. It best to ask the OB/GYN first because it could be being caused by an hormone imbalance.