Psychology professor says Covid will make females compete harder for economically eligible males

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So, with a team of experts, I looked at what impact these changes would have on how we all live - and love.

We reviewed 90 studies and found that due to the virus, and the resultant job losses and mental health crisis, there will be fewer 'eligible male prospects'.

Competition, as a result, will intensify between women. It's exaggerating an existing trend. Research has found there was an 'oversupply' of successful, educated women searching in vain for a suitable partner.

This situation has parallels in history. In Britain, the Great War robbed nearly a million women of the men they would have married, causing huge social change.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So now Old Fat Guys are getting our due! :jet:

phreddyp

Nothing to see here if you are an economically well off male, your chances of finding an acceptable mate are much higher than ones who are not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nothing to see here if you are an economically well off male, your chances of finding an acceptable mate are much higher than ones who are not.

Yes and No ..... the point being you have less competition as there are less employed males

SamSpade

Consider the opposite - historically when there's been a huge overabundance of MALES - society goes into great upheaval.

Women might compete - but men will kill. Or just get into trouble, because - damn - no women.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And yet a large number of women will become pregnant to guys with no means to support them or their kid(s). I find that part about humans fascinating.

UglyBear

Consider the opposite - historically when there's been a huge overabundance of MALES - society goes into great upheaval.

Women might compete - but men will kill. Or just get into trouble, because - damn - no women.
Thus modern China is a freakin’ powder keg

UglyBear

And yet a large number of women will become pregnant to guys with no means to support them or their kid(s). I find that part about humans fascinating.
A lot of ladies use Bad Boys for Baby Daddies, and stable guys as Bread Ticket — take as old as humanity itself

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Thus modern China is a freakin’ powder keg
What is interesting is if you drill down into the demographics of China. From birth until age 14, females outnumber males 111 female to every 100 males. Then ages 15 to 65 it favors women with 100 females per 80 males. I wish the data was broken down even more by ages. But the high number of young females does tend to bust the myth of sex selection abortions in China. With the big swing in numbers I have to think that working conditions for males must be very dangerous. It's not like China is in a war where thousands of males are dying every month.

data source

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Would any of this trickle down to the birth per family? Didn't a lot of couples abort females in order to have sons instead, to take care of them in their old age?

PeoplesElbow

From what I understood the orphanages were full of girls that had been abandoned so the family could have a boy.

SamSpade

From what I understood the orphanages were full of girls that had been abandoned so the family could have a boy.
That WAS true - but a lot of things come into play. While we found it was easier to adopt a girl in China, the ratio was closer than you'd think.

For one thing - they're letting go of their one child policy. In some respects, life itself is solving that problem for them.
For another, according to the facilitator we had in China - violating this only ever was a FINE. If you had money, you just paid it and had the extra child. Our facilitator had two kids, a boy and a girl.
Another was that boys with birth defects tended to be rejected at a very high rate - most special needs children available for adoption were boys. Sometimes the defects were correctible, such as cleft palate or club feet. Some were less so - spina bifida or some polydactyly. And some weren't - Down's syndrome and various forms of nerve and bone damage - kids born missing limbs or flippers for limbs. Extensive moles and skin diseases. And so forth.

One thing is cultural depending on the part of China - in many parts of the rest of the world, girls are retained because girls tend to stay home and care for the family's personal needs. Some parts of China are this way. We actually met a girl who was given up for adoption at age EIGHT - because the mom gave birth to a boy. But some WANT a girl because a boy isn't necessarily a guaranteed income later on.

And there's what everyone noticed as "little emperor" syndrome - a single male child who is doted on by the rest of the extended family "cursed" by girls - they grow up spoiled and turn into little terrors.

But there are villages in areas where among school age children, the boys VASTLY outnumber the girls. Sometimes greater than 10 to 1.

PeoplesElbow

But there are villages in areas where among school age children, the boys VASTLY outnumber the girls. Sometimes greater than 10 to 1.
I've always wondered about that when I heard that girls were throw away and they wanted boys what they expected the boys to do when they grew up, be single, be gay etc.

I will say at my college more of the Chinese students were female, far more.