Public land turkeys

antwheat

I am the Decider!
I'm new to SOMD and am an avid hunter. I'm thinking about trying out turkey hunting for the first time ever this spring and would like to know how public land turkey hunting is in Charles county, specifically Myrtle Grove. I can say early in deer season I saw a group of about 8 out there while in my stand. Any turkey hunting suggestions or locations are greatly appreciated!

bulldog

I'm new to SOMD and am an avid hunter. I'm thinking about trying out turkey hunting for the first time ever this spring and would like to know how public land turkey hunting is in Charles county, specifically Myrtle Grove. I can say early in deer season I saw a group of about 8 out there while in my stand. Any turkey hunting suggestions or locations are greatly appreciated!

Eight turkeys on public land in SOMD is a good start. In general, turkeys in SOMD are just getting to where there are decent numbers for hunting. Unlike deer, they are not everywhere. On the farms I hunt, they are closely managed (i.e., limited hunters, one bird per hunter instead of the allowed two). Hopefully this management will help increase the numbers.
This will be the first year that DNR will allow hunting past noon, but it's restricted to the last two weeks of the season if I remember correctly. No fall season as there is in other areas of the state such as western MD. Hopefully, this too will change as the numbers increase.

antwheat

I am the Decider!
Thanks for the info Bulldog. I didn't realize they had low numbers here. We trip over them where I'm from in Arkansas, just never hunted them. I've seen several groups in fields drivig through Charles though.

wch

Hunting on public lands is pretty tough, only due to the amount of other hunters, Hunter pressure in Charles County is extreme, weekdays aren't to bad, the first Saturday is the worse, same as deer season, after the first week they lose interest and except for a few die-hard it isn't that bad, the Myrtle grove area at the power lines will probably have a few vehicles on the opening week

antwheat

I am the Decider!
Early in deer bow season, I can say there were quite a few out at myrtle grove, but like you said it definitely died down. The last 4 or 5 times I've been out there I've seen no one. I figured the power lines is where most turkey hunters will be. I've got a couple spots in mind out there, and I'll have to walk a mile or so in...but I expect that on public land. Thanks wch.

somdshootnet

I don't know about low numbers. I'm tired of looking at the damned things already. DNR dropped 175 on the farm over the course of 4 years and now the Indian Head / Ripley area is invaded with turkeys. I can only say that is you think the turkey population in this county is low, you're not in the woods much, they are everywhere. Try hunting the Myrtle Grove properties closer to Indian Head.

bulldog

I don't know about low numbers. I'm tired of looking at the damned things already. DNR dropped 175 on the farm over the course of 4 years and now the Indian Head / Ripley area is invaded with turkeys. I can only say that is you think the turkey population in this county is low, you're not in the woods much, they are everywhere. Try hunting the Myrtle Grove properties closer to Indian Head.

Since the OP did specify Myrtle Grove in his post, I'll default to your observation for YOUR area. Such is not the case in southern St. Mary's county so don't presume to think that I'm "not in the woods much". You have no idea how much time I spend in the woods.