Public School demise

3CATSAILOR

I was just reading in the Emptyprise or whatever it is called these days that Calvert County schools has more and more issues. And then in the same newspaper, there was an article about continued problems in Charles as well. But yet, everything seems quiet in St. Mary's? I highly doubt it. Very likely problems in St. Mary's too. Just not reported as much.

In general, School systems are a reflection of society itself. With Grandparents or "Guardians" raising children and the children not knowing who their Father or Mother is, or they are high on something, or divorced, or dead, or a combination there of. and list goes on. No wonder why so many kids have various mental illnesses. Some more than one. Kids these days rarely hear the word "no". Teachers can't wait to retire. Teachers who are not vested decide to leave. And the problem is not just in Southern Maryland. Not by a long shot. It is National.

States like Maryland can make whatever "gun control" laws they want. It will do NOTHING to reduce any potential problems in our schools. Parents/Guardians, etc. which are able to do so, are pulling their kids out of Public Schools for either private or religious schools. I guess they end up finding religion. Public School sytems think money is the answer to cure everything. The budget of Public Schools is through the roof and getting worse. Where is the accountability? It doesn't exist. They DEMAND from the County for money and more money and more money and more money. And if the Commissioners show any sign of denial of their demands, they pull out the usual Union members who flood the meeting room. And then the cycle repeats itself year after year. Who is hurt by this? The kids. The vast majority of kids are good kids that want a good education. To be honest, I am suprised there isn't more problems in our Schools than what we hear about. I suspect there probably is. We just don't hear about it. I fear the worse is to come. I hope not. But, the writing seems to be on the wall. Not the chalk board.

3CATSAILOR

My son is a public school teacher and he WILL NOT send my grandsons to public school ever.
I am not surprised. I have a friend that is a teacher at Spring Ridge. He said he had several death threats from some students. I was horrified. I told him to report it to the police. He said he could but then he would be "out of a job" or at the very least black balled for any promotion. That was years ago. Hopefully it is better now. However, I doubt it.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
The educational system is screwed up and will take 10-12 years to correct. The BoE has lowered the standards so that no child is left behind, everyone passes, teachers cannot give a kid a zero for not doing their assignment. It may hurt their feelings. No wonder college students have a hard time with classes. Kids were not forced to learn the material in the public school system, they have no proper supervision at home to teach them to respect their teachers and those in authority or even each other. The BoE removed any punishments for class disruptions. I remember Calvert Middle School principals' office had yellow ducks in a circle on the floor. If you were acting up, principal would tell you to bend over and pick a duck and then take the board of education to the seat of knowledge.

School administrators need to have authority to properly discipline disruptive students and parents need to teach their children right from wrong.
Students should get the grades they earned. If you did not do the work. 0%, Fail. No more worrying about hurting a child's feelings giving them a zero. Do the work, get a higher mark.

Teachers today get zero respect from students and zero help from school administration. A losing place to be. No wonder there is a teacher shortage.