Puerto Rico is broke

Toxick

Splat
Speedy70 said:
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- The government of Puerto Rico ran out of money Monday, forcing the U.S. commonwealth to close public schools and shut down government offices, putting almost 100,000 people out of work.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/05/01/puerto.rico.shutdown.ap/index.html

They're an American Territory, we should just go on ahead and make them a state, and they wouldn't have these kinds of problems any more. They could fall under the blanket of the best educational system in the wo....

:killingme :killingme :killingme

I almost made it all the way through that last part with a straight face.

Seriously though. They should make it a state.

Same with DC.

Same wiht Mexico.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is what is known as a "Mexican Standoff". Both sides want their way and they are happy for ALL to suffer, rather than come to a compromise.

Amazing.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Toxick said:
They're an American Territory, we should just go on ahead and make them a state, and ...

Seriously though. They should make it a state.

Same with DC.

Same wiht Mexico.
The Puerto Ricans I knew when I was there did not want to be a state. They want to be their own country.

I remember more than a few years ago (60s?), that there was a major snow storm in the eastern U.S. the representative from Puerto Rico was complaining that Puerto Rico was not getting any funds from Congress from the emergency snow aid. :jameo: And he was serious.

Here's your sign.

bcp

In My Opinion
A large majority of Puerto Ricans want to become an actual state.
They want to pay tax, and receive the benifits of being a state, from military protection, export and import, all the way to education.

Those Puerto Ricans see where being a state could benifit them, and at the same time they honestly feel that they have something to add to our country.

The majority of Puerto Ricans speak english, although if you go up in the the mountain areas like El Younco you will find that there are still some that have not recieved the education needed to converse in our language.

From San Juan to Ponce, you will find nothing but people that are willing to go the extra steps to make you feel welcome.

Overall, these are a great group of people (except my mother in law that has a beard and big feet) that are interested in only being self supporting, The current government there does not in their opinion provide that option.

MMDad

Lem Putt
bcp said:
They want to pay tax, and receive the benifits of being a state, from military protection, export and import, all the way to education.

Those Puerto Ricans see where being a state could benifit them, and at the same time they honestly feel that they have something to add to our country.

The majority of Puerto Ricans speak english, although if you go up in the the mountain areas like El Younco you will find that there are still some that have not recieved the education needed to converse in our language.

From San Juan to Ponce, you will find nothing but people that are willing to go the extra steps to make you feel welcome.

Overall, these are a great group of people (except my mother in law that has a beard and big feet) that are interested in only being self supporting, The current government there does not in their opinion provide that option.
:yay: There is a very vocal minority asking for independence. Most Puerto Ricans do like the idea of statehood, but the tax burden makes it a little more complex.

Most Puerto Ricans learned the hard way what "independence" means. The Hillary's helped shut down Vieques. So the Navy decided they didn't need Roosevelt Roads. Where were the Hillary's when it was time to help all of the people who lost their jobs?

And BCP, maybe you could make the mother-in-law fur into coats for the next time a snow storm hits Puerto Rico.

bcp

In My Opinion
MMDad said:
And BCP, maybe you could make the mother-in-law fur into coats for the next time a snow storm hits Puerto Rico.
Im sorry, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
bcp said:
Im sorry, I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Cho....nevermind.

Here's my dumb question:

Do you need a passport to go to Puerto Rico? Yes, I could look it up but I like to ask questions. :nerd:

MMDad

Lem Putt
vraiblonde said:
Cho....nevermind.

Here's my dumb question:

Do you need a passport to go to Puerto Rico? Yes, I could look it up but I like to ask questions. :nerd:
No. Puerto rico is a U.S. Territory. They are U.S. citizens, and we can come and go as we please.

However, it is useful to have a passport in case you decide to take a side trip while you are down there.

Pete

Repete
bcp said:

I thought it was very telling that every window and every door of every building has bars across it. :ohwell:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Pete said:
I thought it was very telling that every window and every door of every building has bars across it. :ohwell:
That's not quite true. Most hotels don't have bars on the windows above the tenth floor.

It was also interesting how they tell you to never stop at a red light in Carolina after dark.