Puppy won't go out for hubby

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We have 2 English Mastiffs, 11 mos. old. One of them was disciplined for urinating in the house and now refuses to go out for my husband. This was at least 2 mos. ago if not longer. She runs and hides under the table. He tried giving her treats but she pee'd all over the floor and him. She is fine with him otherwise. He is home during the day with them, she plays with him, they snuggle, etc. He's at his wits end and may end up crating her all day until one of the kids gets home. Any ideas.

DEEKAYPEE8569

We have 2 English Mastiffs, 11 mos. old. One of them was disciplined for urinating in the house and now refuses to go out for my husband. This was at least 2 mos. ago if not longer. She runs and hides under the table. He tried giving her treats but she pee'd all over the floor and him. She is fine with him otherwise. He is home during the day with them, she plays with him, they snuggle, etc. He's at his wits end and may end up crating her all day until one of the kids gets home. Any ideas.
Can your husband take the girl for a walk; or does/would she run from a leash if "Daddy" is holding it?

http://www.ehow.com/info_8771563_home-remedy-dog-peeing-inside.html

"Methods"
"For hardwood or hard surfaces that have urine on them, rub Borax on it and let it sit until dry. For urine on a carpet, dab at the stain with a mix of one teaspoon of dish detergent and a cup of hot water. Dab a mixture of one part vinegar to two parts water on the vinegar to neutralize the odor. The smell of the vinegar is also extremely strong to the dog, but not to humans, discouraging further urination in that same spot."

Then again, there's the 'stick her nose in it and toss her outside' approach; something I don't think I could do; but I hear that that works too.

Last edited:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Can your husband take the girl for a walk; or does/would she run from a leash if "Daddy" is holding it?

"Methods"
"For hardwood or hard surfaces that have urine on them, rub Borax on it and let it sit until dry. For urine on a carpet, dab at the stain with a mix of one teaspoon of dish detergent and a cup of hot water. Dab a mixture of one part vinegar to two parts water on the vinegar to neutralize the odor. The smell of the vinegar is also extremely strong to the dog, but not to humans, discouraging further urination in that same spot."

Then again, there's the 'stick her nose in it and toss her outside' approach; something I don't think I could do; but I hear that that works too.

She wont even go near the door. As soon as he says " wanna go outside? or Who's gotta go potty?" (using the silly high pitched voice) she hauls ass into the other room. If he tries to corral her towards the door she pee's. He said maybe she'll go out through the garage. She'll go downstairs to her kennel for him. I don't want going downstairs to go pee to become the norm. I know stairs are not good on giant breed dog hips, knees, etc. But maybe she'll start to trust him this way.

Roman

"Methods"

I won't stick their nose in it either. It really doesn't work, plus the dog's nose is very sensitive, and can bleed bad if pushed hard enough. I think in time, she'll get over the issue, and will be happy to go to the door to go out. Maybe this is just a phase she's going through? She's doing what they call "submissive peeing". My Boston Terrier did that when she was younger, but stopped when she was about 16 months old.

frequentflier

happy to be living

What exactly was the "discipline'?

MMDad

Lem Putt
He immediately yelled at her and forced her outside. He never hit her or anything but I guess being forced out was enough to traumatize her about going out on her own.

That's what the "experts" say to do. I understand the whole "don't rub their nose in it" thing, as well as the people who think you should never smack them. But I consider it to be like spanking - if it's a beating, or done out of anger, it's ineffective. But a smack to get their attention without hurting them doesn't have to be done often if it's done right.

I'm dealing with a 1 YO we got from a rescue now. They claimed she was house trained but I think she may have been pad trained, and it seems that beds remind her of her pee pads. It takes a lot of effort but she finally seems to be getting it. Of course, half of the effort is training the kids to take care of the dog.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
She wont even go near the door. As soon as he says " wanna go outside? or Who's gotta go potty?" (using the silly high pitched voice) she hauls ass into the other room. If he tries to corral her towards the door she pee's. He said maybe she'll go out through the garage. She'll go downstairs to her kennel for him. I don't want going downstairs to go pee to become the norm. I know stairs are not good on giant breed dog hips, knees, etc. But maybe she'll start to trust him this way.
Is she more protective of you when you are home?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I would say no. She goes in spurts of being up my butt vs. hubby. The other one is all about Mama , but will go out for anyone.
Giant breeds get their feelings hurt easily. It doesn't do any good to yell or smack because they will associate going potty as bad. Some pups get the hang of it immediately while others just need a little bit of time.

I would suggest that when you are home, both you AND your husband take her outside together. You are a positive experience for her and through time, your husband will also be positive.

You could crate her but that is not teaching her right from wrong.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Giant breeds get their feelings hurt easily. It doesn't do any good to yell or smack because they will associate going potty as bad. Some pups get the hang of it immediately while others just need a little bit of time.

I would suggest that when you are home, both you AND your husband take her outside together. You are a positive experience for her and through time, your husband will also be positive.

You could crate her but that is not teaching her right from wrong.

They are, I'd say, potty trained. Hubby probably got busy and missed her cue to go out. The other one, Emma, is easier to read. Us both taking her out when I'm home is easy but he's home all day with them, alone. Hoping going out through the garage or sliding glass door will be better until she gets over this. I'll check on him later and see how it's going. Just crazy, you can tell she loves him. He runs circles in the house with her playing. She chases him, he chases her, they wrestle. You'd think they would have a stronger bond. I play with her/them but not in that way. They are stubborn little things, lol.