Putting lights in a barn

fredsaid2

For those of you who have installed electric in your barn or plan to….what are some of the best tips and products you’ve come across. What did you do that worked well and what would you have done differently? Specifically - lighting a 12x12 stall and a 12’ wide aisle. How many lights, what kind of spacing and where did you place electrical outlets? Looking for a well lit plan without overdoing it.

DQ2B

My stalls just have the "jelly jar" type lights which I have found sufficient. My switches however, are located between the stalls and the stall doors are gates with yolks so the horses occaisionally turn the lights and fans on/off. TIP: keep the switches out of their reach or have covers installed.

TIP: install outlets, etc for fans (stall and aisle) even if you don't put them up right away.

My aisles have pan lights down the center that use regular spot light bulbs. The cross tie and wash rack areas have flourescent waterproof lights on either side of the aisle so that the light comes from both directions and not just the top of the horse (you could do surgery under them). There's also a ceiling fan above and covered electrical outlets.

Tack room has flourescent lights

forgot to add:
I have a dawn to dusk light outside the barn in the common area and timed lights outside the barn doors on the diveway side. Also an outlet at one end of the arena for plugging in steros and such.

Grain/sink room has just a regular bulb overhead but outlets for heat tape to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter.

Outside at the water trough I have a covered double outlet so I can plug in the heated water buckets in winter and the electric fence.

Last edited:
Avoid fluorescent. They have a problem when it gets cold out. I'm thinking of the 40 watt tube-type. I don't know how the new CF screw-bulb replacements work in the cold.

Use sealed outdoor switches, even if it's inside.

DQ2B

Avoid fluorescent. They have a problem when it gets cold out. I'm thinking of the 40 watt tube-type. I don't know how the new CF screw-bulb replacements work in the cold.

Havent had any problems with my flourescents in the winters.

Havent had any problems with my flourescents in the winters.

Mine either would not start or be very dim for a long time until they warmed up. This was on Long Island with nighttime temps near 0*. Inside of the barn was probably 20*.

Katt

For those of you who have installed electric in your barn or plan to….what are some of the best tips and products you’ve come across. What did you do that worked well and what would you have done differently? Specifically - lighting a 12x12 stall and a 12’ wide aisle. How many lights, what kind of spacing and where did you place electrical outlets? Looking for a well lit plan without overdoing it.

I haven't have any problems with the cf bulbs in my jar style lights overhead, but I think you are supposed to have cage guards around the globes or jars in case the horses rear up and break them. Fire hazzard without the guards. Also, make sure you don't put the outlets near where the horses can reach them or your fans will never stay plugged in. Put many more outlets in than you think you'll need, because you'll use them all!

It depends on how much you want to spend for how many or how far apart your lights are spaced. One per stall should be fine and we have our every 12 feet in the isle and it's fine. :howdy:

fredsaid2

So the jarred light in a cage seems to be the consensus for stalls. I like the offset light idea from DQ2B for work areas. I know I want the heavy duty covered switches and outlets. Perhaps one high for fans and one normal height for clippers, vacs and such. I have gossip doors on the interior, I'll have to check on their reach. Tks and keep the ideas coming!

CountryLady

luvmyponies

Yes, florescent usually don't operate well in extreme cold. However they do not put off a lot of heat in the summer. Once they are lit will stay on fine when temps drop. They usually don't cost as much to run as incandescent bulbs either. Combination of both types are sometimes nice as long as they are on separate switching circuits. Yes, Incandescent should be caged type.

TIP: Keep electric wire away from horse access. Put up guards to prevent curious or board horses from nibbling the box. Installing outlets near the/or on the ceilings between stalls for summer time fan installation. That way it is easier to keep the electric cords out of horses reach while still giving a neat and tidy appearance.

Lots of light in the grooming area such as in the cross-tie area, if you have one inside the barn. When the days are shorter you'll appreciate the extra light to inspect feet etc... One light directly over head usually doesn't cut it. It casts shadows below (belly, feet, & legs).

Also if you have a water hydrant inside your barn, install outlet close by for heat tape to keep pipes from freezing.

Another thing if you have outside water troughs that need heaters in the winter, make sure you have an outlet for them in a convenient place.

And, Motion detectors out side the barn with flood lights.

And, Ceiling fans.

If you for some reason you may want cameras for monitoring (such as foal watch) , easier to put the electric in all at the same time then add-ons later.

:buddies:

Last edited:

BentleysRider

Here's a tip from when my kids were using my barn - motion detector lights in the tack and feed rooms. Saved lots of trips back down to the barn after dark, and makes carrying your saddle back into your tack room easier without hands.

Sparks

I have florescent that work well in cold weather. Zero degree bulb, I think it's called a T8? You could perform surgery in that aisle, it's so bright. Seriously. They were around $200 per light. Aisle is 75 ft. long and we put up five 8 ft. lights. Each light has two bulbs.

I also installed the small caged light in each stall and never use them.

Also ran my wiring inside of conduit. Safer in a barn environment.

GFI outlets - one on outside of stall front for heated buckets. One in rear corner on ceiling for fan.

Last edited:

Tony_Stewart

I have florescent that work well in cold weather. Zero degree bulb, I think it's called a T8? You could perform surgery in that aisle, it's so bright. Seriously. They were around $200 per light. Aisle is 75 ft. long and we put up five 8 ft. lights. Each light has two bulbs.

I also installed the small caged light in each stall and never use them.

Also ran my wiring inside of conduit. Safer in a barn environment.

GFI outlets - one on outside of stall front for heated buckets. One in rear corner on ceiling for fan.
0 degree ballast. Should not cost $200.00 each (unless that is the installed cost).
Make sure everything is properly grounded!!
All receptacles have to be GFCI type.

Sparks

0 degree ballast. Should not cost $200.00 each (unless that is the installed cost).
Make sure everything is properly grounded!!
All receptacles have to be GFCI type.

The light is 8' long and has two bulbs inside. I believe they are meant for use in commercial parking garages. They were around $200 per.