Quality barefooting

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I have been doing "the barefoot" thing with the pasos...doing great..use a "barefoot guy" who really rounds them nice..I am happy with it...

Farrier

Pasofever said:
I have been doing "the barefoot" thing with the pasos...doing great..use a "barefoot guy" who really rounds them nice..I am happy with it...

Paso's mostly do well barefoot. They are easy keepers in the foot department and every where else for that matter.

The point of the post was because of the barefootmovment. There is alot of this type of stuff out there and some people just do not know any better.

This horse displays a dish in each front and a massive amount of sole retension. This horse is most likly suffering some form of laminitus and the owner hasn't a clue. This horse is lame and has been a long while but probly has to much heart to show it. Not to mention the 5 YEAR ABCESSfrom a thorn causeing degeneration of the pedal bone proved by x-rays??????
Is this sane? Is this humane? Not in my opinon.

DQ2B

Farrier said:
Here ya' go, somthing for the barefoot movment to be proud of.

http://www.johnlyons.com/dboard/showthread.php?t=11677

Yes, while I think barefoot is best(when possible and with owners committed to it's lifestyle) and that the barefoot movement is, in general, a good thing, it's so sad to see a lot of misinformation and people still unaware of what a proper hoof should look like.

The hooves in the link are terribly pathological and I can't believe a professional trimmer (if the trimmer was indeed a professional) left that stretched white line and underrun heels. I also doubt that any trim or shoe would be the answer for deterioration of the pedal bone. You can't replace bone.

In addition, the best trim in the world will not be enough if the rest of the "package" is ignored. Healthy hooves depend on diet, lifestyle, terrain, healthy immune system and careful management.

Farrier

DQ2B said:
Yes, while I think barefoot is best(when possible and with owners committed to it's lifestyle) and that the barefoot movement is, in general, a good thing, it's so sad to see a lot of misinformation and people still unaware of what a proper hoof should look like.

The hooves in the link are terribly pathological and I can't believe a professional trimmer (if the trimmer was indeed a professional) left that stretched white line and underrun heels. I also doubt that any trim or shoe would be the answer for deterioration of the pedal bone. You can't replace bone.

In addition, the best trim in the world will not be enough if the rest of the "package" is ignored. Healthy hooves depend on diet, lifestyle, terrain, healthy immune system and careful management.

I agree.