Quarantine workouts

SailorGirl

How far do you walk? What’s your dumbbell workout? What kind of dumbells? Do you have a bench?

I have so many questions.
At the moment, not far at all, about 2.5 total for the entire day and I broke that down into morning and evening. I had surgery on my knee, meniscus repair if I recall correctly, if I go too far and it starts to hurt, I can't get back and at three in the morning and eleven at night I really need to get back.

I do have a bench and I do triceps, biceps and back with embarrassingly small girly dumbbells which probably aren't helping tone that much, but I figure once I get used to it I should be able to up the ante. I actually just began that and it's killing me right now, but it's a start and I can still watch GOT at the same time. Two birds, one stone. I like that.

Bonehead

I bought one of those Oyo gizmos, it works pretty good for upper body haven't figured out lower body with it yet. I sure do miss swimming every day. Last year was 250 or so miles...

SailorGirl

I bought one of those Oyo gizmos, it works pretty good for upper body haven't figured out lower body with it yet. I sure do miss swimming every day. Last year was 250 or so miles...
Swimming is a damn good workout and probably better for me than what I'm doing right now

UglyBear

How far do you walk? What’s your dumbbell workout? What kind of dumbells? Do you have a bench?

I have so many questions.
In my experience, anything that works for you works, just do it as much as you can. It all works.

After I was in a big car accident over a decade ago, I had to walk for 1-2 hours before going to bed (otherwise my damaged muscles would seize, and I would wake up in the middle of the night in agony) -- and I got my mom's 5lbs dumbells just to keep my hands busy. You know, just swinging them around, curls, holding them out to the sides and in front while walking.
That got me in the best shape of my life -- I looked better than after years of going to the gym twice a week and lifting 30-40lbs weights.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I love exercise gadgets. I have so many, I had to start getting rid of a few. I can relate with missing swimming. I swam M-F for years but a new work schedule hasn't let me do that for almost a year. :frown:

UglyBear

In this quarantine, I got the last two 30lbs dumbells and do curls, tricepts, fake bench press, squats while holding the bells -- even without a bench. BTW, all the weights are gone from Walmarts -- everyone got the same idea.

SailorGirl

In my experience, anything that works for you works, just do it as much as you can. It all works.

After I was in a big car accident over a decade ago, I had to walk for 1-2 hours before going to bed (otherwise my damaged muscles would seize, and I would wake up in the middle of the night in agony) -- and I got my mom's 5lbs dumbells just to keep my hands busy. You know, just swinging them around, curls, holding them out to the sides and in front while walking.
That got me in the best shape of my life -- I looked better than after years of going to the gym twice a week and lifting 30-40lbs weights.
I'm so glad to hear that - not getting particularly fast results but I do have more energy - don't think I can add the weights to the walk yet. I'm in agony right now.

SailorGirl

In this quarantine, I got the last two 30lbs dumbells and do curls, tricepts, fake bench press, squats while holding the bells -- even without a bench. BTW, all the weights are gone from Walmarts -- everyone got the same idea.
If anyone needs weights I have some that I'm getting ready to take to the dump. Hit me up.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I lost about 60 pounds walking. I stopped back in May when I reached my goal weight. I told myself I'd start again if I went above that weight. So far, just taking my Le-Vel Thrive daily has kept the pounds away.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm so glad to hear that - not getting particularly fast results but I do have more energy - don't think I can add the weights to the walk yet. I'm in agony right now.
Walking is fantastic exercise! I'm glad to hear you're making progress! You couldn't go that far only a couple of months ago. :yay:

SailorGirl

So I took some little two pound weights with me this morning. There's a difference in the feel of the walk even if you're not using the weights as a form of separate exercise. In fact, I completely forgot I had them when I threw my right arm up to cover my eyes from oncoming headlights and gave myself a small, but nonetheless painful, knot on my forehead. A better walk with weights though I think, feeling pretty good right now - like I really did something. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
So I took some little two pound weights with me this morning. There's a difference in the feel of the walk even if you're not using the weights as a form of separate exercise. In fact, I completely forgot I had them when I threw my right arm up to cover my eyes from oncoming headlights and gave myself a small, but nonetheless painful, knot on my forehead. A better walk with weights though I think, feeling pretty good right now - like I really did something. Thanks for the suggestion.
My boss uses ankle weights when he runs. Just velcro around your ankle. Same concept but less likely to cause a head injury. :lol:

SailorGirl

My boss uses ankle weights when he runs. Just velcro around your ankle. Same concept but less likely to cause a head injury. :lol:
I don't know whether ankle weights would be a good idea for me or not - toyed with the idea. I can be walking and everything feels fine and without any change in stride, no bumps in the road, no dips, my knee just collapses and hurts like hell - like it's almost on fire. I don't know if weights would strengthen that knee or make it worse. But you are right I probably wouldn't hit myself in the head with them. I wonder if the driver in the car saw the expression on my face when I did that. It had to have been comical.