Quarantine workouts

Bonehead

I bought one of those Oyo gizmos, it works pretty good for upper body haven't figured out lower body with it yet. I sure do miss swimming every day. Last year was 250 or so miles...

UglyBear

How far do you walk? What’s your dumbbell workout? What kind of dumbells? Do you have a bench?

I have so many questions.
In my experience, anything that works for you works, just do it as much as you can. It all works.

After I was in a big car accident over a decade ago, I had to walk for 1-2 hours before going to bed (otherwise my damaged muscles would seize, and I would wake up in the middle of the night in agony) -- and I got my mom's 5lbs dumbells just to keep my hands busy. You know, just swinging them around, curls, holding them out to the sides and in front while walking.
That got me in the best shape of my life -- I looked better than after years of going to the gym twice a week and lifting 30-40lbs weights.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I bought one of those Oyo gizmos, it works pretty good for upper body haven't figured out lower body with it yet. I sure do miss swimming every day. Last year was 250 or so miles...

I love exercise gadgets. I have so many, I had to start getting rid of a few. I can relate with missing swimming. I swam M-F for years but a new work schedule hasn't let me do that for almost a year. :frown:

UglyBear

In this quarantine, I got the last two 30lbs dumbells and do curls, tricepts, fake bench press, squats while holding the bells -- even without a bench. BTW, all the weights are gone from Walmarts -- everyone got the same idea.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I lost about 60 pounds walking. I stopped back in May when I reached my goal weight. I told myself I'd start again if I went above that weight. So far, just taking my Le-Vel Thrive daily has kept the pounds away.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm so glad to hear that - not getting particularly fast results but I do have more energy - don't think I can add the weights to the walk yet. I'm in agony right now.
Walking is fantastic exercise! I'm glad to hear you're making progress! You couldn't go that far only a couple of months ago. :yay:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
So I took some little two pound weights with me this morning. There's a difference in the feel of the walk even if you're not using the weights as a form of separate exercise. In fact, I completely forgot I had them when I threw my right arm up to cover my eyes from oncoming headlights and gave myself a small, but nonetheless painful, knot on my forehead. A better walk with weights though I think, feeling pretty good right now - like I really did something. Thanks for the suggestion.
My boss uses ankle weights when he runs. Just velcro around your ankle. Same concept but less likely to cause a head injury. :lol:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I don't know whether ankle weights would be a good idea for me or not - toyed with the idea. I can be walking and everything feels fine and without any change in stride, no bumps in the road, no dips, my knee just collapses and hurts like hell - like it's almost on fire. I don't know if weights would strengthen that knee or make it worse. But you are right I probably wouldn't hit myself in the head with them. I wonder if the driver in the car saw the expression on my face when I did that. It had to have been comical.
I am known to do WTF type stuff too. Thursday, the jar of jalapenos fell out of the fridge and smashed. I picked up the pieces and threw them in the trash. Then proceeded to use my fist to smash down the garbage and cut the heck out of my hand and bleed like a stuffed pig.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I’m carrying cases full of empty Corona bottles the full distance to the dumpster and then a dead lift to throw them in. Very aerobic.
I do squats with a full case of Corona in each hand...bulking up.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My father used to tell me that washing the dishes would help heal cuts like that. Washing the dishes was the cure all for everything in my family if you were dumb enough to believe it. .
The worst of it is on my knuckles so trying to not bend my fingers and opening the wound again has been hard.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Yikes - I KNOW that hurts. Someone else should do all your household nonsense for the say the entire month of May. Hope you feel better.
Well, I reopened it changing my bed sheets so a bandage is back on. I actually like doing housework. I used to be anti-cleaning because it felt like I was just polishing a turd. Our furniture was old and crappy. The carpet was old and crappy. I just gave up. Now that we redid our bathrooms, kitchen, and living room and it looks awesome, I like keeping it that way. No more worrying about unexpected guests. My house is always clean!!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Ha! I'd be milking that hand for as long as I could safely get away with it. Course I'd be milking it with myself but....
Eh... it's really only one finger that is messed up. Unfortunately it is my favorite finger. At least it is on my right hand and not my left because I am a lefty.