Question about the Maryland HQL and medical records.

m999a1

I heard that if you sign up for an HQL in Maryland, that you essentially sign over your medical records and that even though it's a violation of HIPPA, that it is unlikely anyone would challenge it, because if they had money to challenge the state they would simply leave it instead. Is this true? I want to try and get a job working security and then work up to armed security, but I sure don't want to just blindly sign over my medical records. I don't have the money to contact a lawyer and I have not been able to find solid info anywhere.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I heard that if you sign up for an HQL in Maryland, that you essentially sign over your medical records and that even though it's a violation of HIPPA,

I would not be surprised, this is MD after all .......

This State Sucks Donkey Balls ........

How to Apply
The Handgun Qualification License is accessible online through MyLicense. For access, please click HERE.
To apply for an HQL, the law requires a fingerprint based background check. More information about the fingerprinting process is available HERE. You cannot submit your application until fingerprinting is completed, unless you already possess as Maryland Wear and Carry Permit.
Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course. Qualified Handgun Instructors can be found online HERE. The Firearms Safety Training Course must be instructed by a Qualified Handgun Instructor, and shall consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction and include the following minimum curricula:
  1. State Firearm Law. Overview of the State firearm laws, including discussion of what constitutes a regulated firearm, how to properly purchase or transfer a firearm, where allowed to carry or transport a firearm, when necessary to possess a carry permit, who is prohibited from possessing firearms, and state law relating to minors, permissible levels of force, and use of deadly force.
  2. Home Firearm Safety. Overview of handgun and firearm safety in the home, including discussion of access to minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices, such as secure lock boxes.
  3. Handgun Mechanisms and Operation. Overview of the proper operation and safe handling of a handgun, including cleaning and maintenance, the loading and unloading of ammunition, and the differences between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.
  4. Operation and Handling Demonstration. Orientation component that demonstrates the person’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, to include a “live fire” component in which the applicant safely shoots the weapon. An applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications.

Hijinx

I would not be surprised, this is MD after all .......

This State Sucks Donkey Balls ........

How to Apply
The Handgun Qualification License is accessible online through MyLicense. For access, please click HERE.
To apply for an HQL, the law requires a fingerprint based background check. More information about the fingerprinting process is available HERE. You cannot submit your application until fingerprinting is completed, unless you already possess as Maryland Wear and Carry Permit.
Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course. Qualified Handgun Instructors can be found online HERE. The Firearms Safety Training Course must be instructed by a Qualified Handgun Instructor, and shall consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction and include the following minimum curricula:
  1. State Firearm Law. Overview of the State firearm laws, including discussion of what constitutes a regulated firearm, how to properly purchase or transfer a firearm, where allowed to carry or transport a firearm, when necessary to possess a carry permit, who is prohibited from possessing firearms, and state law relating to minors, permissible levels of force, and use of deadly force.
  2. Home Firearm Safety. Overview of handgun and firearm safety in the home, including discussion of access to minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices, such as secure lock boxes.
  3. Handgun Mechanisms and Operation. Overview of the proper operation and safe handling of a handgun, including cleaning and maintenance, the loading and unloading of ammunition, and the differences between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.
  4. Operation and Handling Demonstration. Orientation component that demonstrates the person’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, to include a “live fire” component in which the applicant safely shoots the weapon. An applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications.

Where in the Constitution does it spell all of this out.

Of course it doesn't.

black dog

Free America
HQL......

I sure do miss Maryland.....

WingsOfGold

Luckily I never needed a HQL in Md. What all does it involve, idiot test and swearing you're not a nut or felon???

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Handgun Qualification License
Sure an glad the Army trained me so I don't require this sheit. Matter of fact, pretty sure that I have this merit badge as well. Along with all the range time and training, and being knocked upside the head, as wee lad, by my WWll veteran dad while growing up. Come to think of it ... I was also trained by the Army in the proper use and safety, operation, handling, mechanisms and maintenance, of the M60, the M2, M16A2+, LAW, AT4, and others. And the State still doesn't trust us, veterans. Gotta jump through all kinda hoops just to get a CCW. Maybe it's because we are wary scawey people?

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Sure an glad the Army trained me so I don't require this sheit. Matter of fact, pretty sure that I have this merit badge as well. Along with all the range time and training, and being knocked upside the head, as wee lad, by my WWll veteran dad while growing up. Come to think of it ... I was also trained by the Army in the proper use and safety, operation, handling, mechanisms and maintenance, of the M60, the M2, M16A2+, LAW, AT4, and others. And the State still doesn't trust us, veterans. Gotta jump through all kinda hoops just to get a CCW. Maybe it's because we are wary scawey people?

Naaaa, it's the folks that have been voted in office in the state you choose to reside in...

I will say that the most unsafe folks on a range that I've seen are stupid rednecks, a liberal with a new gun and old soldiers that think they know range safety.....

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Naaaa, it's the folks that have been voted in office in the state you choose to reside in...

I will say that the most unsafe folks on a range that I've seen are stupid rednecks, a liberal with a new gun and old soldiers that think they know range safety.....
Can't argue with that. But you are right about (some) old soldiers. Recently at a range was a fella who used the "close quarters combat" reason for his shooting prowess and range qualifications. 'Que the eyes rolling into the back of my head. Yeah, sure buddy.'

Tech

Medical records? 😂 Didn't stop the nut who shot up that Jacksonville gaming championship.

Chris0nllyn

I heard that if you sign up for an HQL in Maryland, that you essentially sign over your medical records and that even though it's a violation of HIPPA, that it is unlikely anyone would challenge it, because if they had money to challenge the state they would simply leave it instead. Is this true? I want to try and get a job working security and then work up to armed security, but I sure don't want to just blindly sign over my medical records. I don't have the money to contact a lawyer and I have not been able to find solid info anywhere.

You may have heard about a section where one who is disqualified may prove they are qualified by providing a:
A SIGNED AUTHORIZATION,ON A FORM APPROVED BY THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT ALLOWING THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT TO ACCESS ALL RELEVANT HEALTH CARE, MENTAL HEALTH, DISABILITY,GUARDIANSHIP, AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE RECORDS, INCLUDING COURT ORDERED OR REQUIRED MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS, OF THE APPLICANT FOR USE WITH THE PROCESS
https://trackbill.com/bill/maryland-house-bill-294-firearm-safety-act-of-2013/441718/

But that information is not required to submit and HQL application.