Question about the Terps

Daddy_O

Big Wheelin'
does anyone know how the MD Terrapins came to get the nickname of "TERPS"? I am a huge MD fan of all sports, and a fellow co-worker came and asked me and I have no clue. any help would be appreciated. I am currently trying to google the answer but no luck so far...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The diamondback terrapin is the state reptile of the state of Maryland and the official mascot of the University of Maryland.

Daddy_O

Big Wheelin'
Ken King said:
The diamondback terrapin is the state reptile of the state of Maryland and the official mascot of the University of Maryland.

yes sir, I should have posed the question better, it was how did they get Terp from Terrapin, "they missed some letters in there..." is how I was asked about it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Daddy_O said:
yes sir, I should have posed the question better, it was how did they get Terp from Terrapin, "they missed some letters in there..." is how I was asked about it.
I thought it was pretty obvious.. Terrap doesn't sound quite as cool, as TERP.

Then say Terrapin with a southern drawl, or picture President Bush saying it, probably sounds more like Terpin, abreviatted to 'Terp'

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Good thing the mascot and nickname have been around since before a computer science department came around or it could have ended up being "The Twerps".

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ken King said:
Good thing the mascot and nickname have been around since before a computer science department came around or it could have ended up being "The Twerps".
HEY!! I resembe that remard!!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Ken King said:

Think that is what I called Randy White back in the day..ended up pinned to the ceiling of the 'vous..