Question for all the amateur psychologists

Toxick

Splat
I actually did a search on the internet and got about a billion and one verbally related results, but zero actually related results.

Someone I know unconsciously shakes their hands when you talk to them. (So my google search returned pages about handshakes and tremors, but nothing about this).

Is there an underlying issue if someone shakes their hands when you talk to them? Not like vibrating or parkinsons - it looks like they're shaking water off their hands, putting the elbow and shoulders into it. I would write it off as a nervous tic - but this person has absolutely no reason to be nervous around me, I've known them for years, and this is a fairly new phenomenon. I'm wondering wtf is going on. I asked, and they just shrugged if off with a "iono" and moved on. It's disturbing me, and I'm wondering if there's more than what meets the eye. Sometimes instead of a lateral or vertical shake they swivel it, like they're doing a shaka sign without thumb/pinky extension.

I'm not annoyed by this, but it concerns me that it may be a sign of a more serious issue, either psychological or physiological.

I know that I, of all people, have no business saying this, but, I'd appreciate it if we kept any sarcastic comments or unhelpful/unrelated advice to ourselves. Thanks.

Toxick

Splat
I shake my hands like I'm shaking off water because of carpal tunnel - feels better when I do it. I don't do it a lot though.

Hmm - I'll ask them about that - although I am thinking that's not it, because there doesn't seem to be any pain involved. At least they haven't complained about it..

Thanks.

I wonder if it's something seizure related.

I don't think so. It's absent-minded shaking, but not involuntary - When I pointed it out, they just stopped.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Could they be on the autistic spectrum? I have a grand-niece who does that often when she becomes overwhelmed. It is one of the telltale signs of autism. Hers is severe and she is also so far nonverbal (she just turned 5) but a friend also has an older autistic daughter who is verbal but does the handshaking quite often.

Last edited:

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
I actually did a search on the internet and got about a billion and one verbally related results, but zero actually related results.

Someone I know unconsciously shakes their hands when you talk to them. (So my google search returned pages about handshakes and tremors, but nothing about this).

Is there an underlying issue if someone shakes their hands when you talk to them? Not like vibrating or parkinsons - it looks like they're shaking water off their hands, putting the elbow and shoulders into it. I would write it off as a nervous tic - but this person has absolutely no reason to be nervous around me, I've known them for years, and this is a fairly new phenomenon. I'm wondering wtf is going on. I asked, and they just shrugged if off with a "iono" and moved on. It's disturbing me, and I'm wondering if there's more than what meets the eye. Sometimes instead of a lateral or vertical shake they swivel it, like they're doing a shaka sign without thumb/pinky extension.

I'm not annoyed by this, but it concerns me that it may be a sign of a more serious issue, either psychological or physiological.

I know that I, of all people, have no business saying this, but, I'd appreciate it if we kept any sarcastic comments or unhelpful/unrelated advice to ourselves. Thanks.
Sounds to me it could be a neurological response to previous psychological trauma. Done unconsciously, but controllable if made aware of it. If it's something phobic, it's irrational, so they could very well be nervous as hell around you for no apparent reason.

Or, a very mild case of tourettes or something similar.

Either way, it's highly unlikely any doctor could ever diagnose it without the individual going bankrupt first paying for tests which are almost always deemed unnecessary by the insurance companies.

P.S. Just saw jazz lady's post. Definite possibility there too.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Could just be unconcous nervous habit. My dad incessantly taps his fingers when on the phone and scratches his fingers on the armrest when a passenger in the car. Many people stick their tongue out and lick their lips when focused on a manual task.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This amateur psychologist first suspects Asperger's Syndrome . Remember Jerry from Boston Legal? Like that.

My second guess is Autism Spectrum.