Question for those who sew

H

HouseCat

Hey ladies. I know there's a really nice quilting/fabric shop in PF that offers quilting classes. Anyone know where I can find classes or a private instructor who could help me with complex sewing patterns?

I want to start making my own dresses, and while I know how to use a simple pattern, I get lost on the more complex ones. I know Jo-ann and Hancock fabrics offer classes sometimes, but they're at very inconvenient times and too far away.

Immelu

Hi HouseCat!

I sew clothes too! I don't know of anyone local in the area, but if I get stuck I go to Sewing - Sewing Patterns & Sewing Machines. Butterick & Kwik Sew Patterns. Sewing Machine Reviews & Pattern Reviews. Sewing Classes at PatternReview.com and post a question on the forums. There's an amazing amount of knowledge on this site and it's free for a basic membership! Be sure to check out the "Review Gallery." I love to see what others are doing.

Also, if I'm REALLY stumped, I consult my Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, copyright 1981. :) Between the internet and my book, I have been able to figure out whatever I needed to know.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Hi HouseCat!

I sew clothes too! I don't know of anyone local in the area, but if I get stuck I go to Sewing - Sewing Patterns & Sewing Machines. Butterick & Kwik Sew Patterns. Sewing Machine Reviews & Pattern Reviews. Sewing Classes at PatternReview.com and post a question on the forums. There's an amazing amount of knowledge on this site and it's free for a basic membership! Be sure to check out the "Review Gallery." I love to see what others are doing.

Also, if I'm REALLY stumped, I consult my Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, copyright 1981. :) Between the internet and my book, I have been able to figure out whatever I needed to know.

That looks like a great site thanks for the link:yay:

H

HouseCat

:jet: Holy moly! That site is packed with info! That beats paying for lessons anyday.. Thank you so much! :yahoo:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
There was a quilting circle that met at the seniors center in Leonardtown, but I'm not sure if they still do.

When I first started sewing, I hooked up with a Mennonite gal who showed my a lot of stuff. I'm sure you could ask around and see if any of the women in either the Mennonite or Amish communities would like to earn some money teaching you.

Immelu

:jet: Holy moly! That site is packed with info! That beats paying for lessons anyday.. Thank you so much! :yahoo:

Be careful on there...it's AMAZING how fast time flies. :)

Before making ANY pattern, I always check to see if someone has already posted a review on it. It's saved me a lot of trouble...and introduced me to many things (pattern companies, fabric, stores) I would have never found on my own. :)

KWAK

Hey ladies. I know there's a really nice quilting/fabric shop in PF that offers quilting classes. Anyone know where I can find classes or a private instructor who could help me with complex sewing patterns?

Can I ask the name of the store in Prince Frederick that offers quilting classes?

H

HouseCat

Can I ask the name of the store in Prince Frederick that offers quilting classes?

Well, its part of Mikes' Trains. It's a combination train shop and quilting/fabric shop. More fabric than anything... and it's mostly quilting fabric. They have quite a collection, and the folks in there are very helpful. They are also a Janome dealer/repair shop.

I might be wrong about the name, but its in the same building if you google the address. It's right off of 4, past the firehouse on the right where the Citgo is. I think a husband/wife run the whole thing...not sure.

I just received one of their flyers in the mail Tuesday, and they have classes starting soon. (And they have a lot of different projects too.)

You ought to stop by just to check out the plethera of quilting fabrics...I could roam around in there all day.

KWAK

Thanks! I actually did a search yesterday to find quilt shops in PF - I didn't see that one, but I came across one called Michelle's Quilts -N- Things - and went and checked it out - nice place! Tons of fabric and she offers many different classes too. They're in the Industrial Park off 231 - but I talked to the owner yesterday and she's planning on moving the store to a historical home, a few miles up the road in March. You can check out her website at Home.