question for you guys...

bhoffman

What is the best thing to use to clean horse blankets. I have been using just a scrub brush and water but when it comes time to put them away I want to make sure that I clean them really well and kill anything that might be on them. Also if i was to start giving my horse is it corn oil to make her coat shiny for the show season how much do i give her. She weighs about 1,100 pounds. Thanks in advance:howdy:

poster

What is the best thing to use to clean horse blankets. I have been using just a scrub brush and water but when it comes time to put them away I want to make sure that I clean them really well and kill anything that might be on them. Also if i was to start giving my horse is it corn oil to make her coat shiny for the show season how much do i give her. She weighs about 1,100 pounds. Thanks in advance:howdy:

Hose them off and take to laundry mat and wash in the largest washer (triple load) they have.

fredsaid2

I've used
Snowflake
Horse & Pony Blanket Wash
& Repair (Alterations) Service
avsnowflake@yahoo.com

She'll mail them back to you or drive them to a drop off point if she has a quantity in one local. They're returned clean, re-waterproofed and in a bag for storage. Good deal!

covekat

You might have to sneak them in the laundry mat... if you find one that doesnt mind horse blankets, please let me know!

I would give a cup a day of corn oil...you can also use Rice Bran... either oil or pellets. I had good results with Nu-Image a few yrs ago, or Black Oil Sunflower Seeds... (cheap for a big bag)...

covekat

I've used
Snowflake
Horse & Pony Blanket Wash
& Repair (Alterations) Service
avsnowflake@yahoo.com

She'll mail them back to you or drive them to a drop off point if she has a quantity in one local. They're returned clean, re-waterproofed and in a bag for storage. Good deal!

Where is she located? I have a ton of blankets that need repairs and washing... I usually take them up to a horse show, but missed the boat this year.

thanks!

fredsaid2

Where is she located? I have a ton of blankets that need repairs and washing... I usually take them up to a horse show, but missed the boat this year.

thanks!

She's in Gaithersburg. I've mailed them both ways and done the drop off delivery spot route. She repaired the mesh lining of a t/o sheet for me, lovely job. I think I broke her of extensive repairs like that though. : ) She said it was all by hand and took forever.

Sparks

She's in Gaithersburg. I've mailed them both ways and done the drop off delivery spot route. She repaired the mesh lining of a t/o sheet for me, lovely job. I think I broke her of extensive repairs like that though. : ) She said it was all by hand and took forever.

If you get a bunch of people together, she'll probably come down and pick them up. Last year, she sent someone down to my house to pick them up.

I've been using her for years. She's fabulous!

TMCash

I used Healthy Coat and it works great. It is also good for their feet. Also if you wash your blankets your self at a laundry mat be careful of what detergent you use if your blankets are waterproof.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
You might have to sneak them in the laundry mat... if you find one that doesnt mind horse blankets, please let me know!

I would give a cup a day of corn oil...you can also use Rice Bran... either oil or pellets. I had good results with Nu-Image a few yrs ago, or Black Oil Sunflower Seeds... (cheap for a big bag)...
withthe added benefit of growing sunflowers in the manure pile :yay: (unless you have chickens who scratch them up and eat them warm :lol: )

devinej

i've heard about corn oil they only will absorb about 2 table spoon per day even if you give them a cup.

blanket wash - for turn out sheets be careful - use wool-lite or something else really gentle because regular detergents take out the waterproofing.

fredsaid2

i've heard about corn oil they only will absorb about 2 table spoon per day even if you give them a cup.

blanket wash - for turn out sheets be careful - use wool-lite or something else really gentle because regular detergents take out the waterproofing.

Good to know on the oil apsorption!

What about flax seed? I've fed a flax based supplement that made my chestnut shine like a red penny.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
My stallion is on an EPSM diet to keep weight on him as he tends to be skinny. So he's on a high fat/high fiber diet w/low starch/low sugar. He get's Nutrena Compete and 1 cup of oil 2x a day as well as 1 cup of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (aka BOSS) 2x a day. In the summer I also feed nu-image. I love the stuff.

Pretty much anything with biotin will help with coat and hoof growth and health.

*More info on the EPSM diet can be found online - Rural Heritage Vet Clinic - EPSM FAQs

mistymoofwf

live to ride

their is a laundry mat in LA PLATA NEXT TO SUBWAY N A LIQUAR STORE NO ONE IS EVER IN THEIR!!!!!!!!!!! i get my blackets done their ALL the time :banana:

i also give my horse 1tbs veg. oil am and pm =D hope sophy(sp) is doing well :buddies:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I wash all of my blankets in my new front load washer:starcat: on delicate. It holds 2 weatherbeeta 1 taka/1 med weight at one time. I love my new washer:love:. PM me if you are close by and need a couple washed.

bhoffman

Thank You!

Thank you soo much to everyone that has replied. This information has been very useful, I will try the laundrymat in laplata since that is literally right up the road from me. If that doesnt work, looks like I will get out the woolite and do some scrubbing. I only have two blankets to do so it shouldnt be too bad. The problem is Sophie goes and rolls all in the mud, and then it dries up and I just take a mud brush to it and then hose it off once it warms up.
Thanks again guys:)

bhoffman

their is a laundry mat in LA PLATA NEXT TO SUBWAY N A LIQUAR STORE NO ONE IS EVER IN THEIR!!!!!!!!!!! i get my blackets done their ALL the time :banana:

i also give my horse 1tbs veg. oil am and pm =D hope sophy(sp) is doing well :buddies:

Thanks girl! I'll def try that, Sophie is doing really well, FAT AND HAPPY, I havn't gotten a chance to ride a whole lot lately but hopefully this weekend I can get some things done with her. How are your horses doing? Are Aries, Lucy, and Roger still at your place?

mistymoofwf

live to ride
Thanks girl! I'll def try that, Sophie is doing really well, FAT AND HAPPY, I havn't gotten a chance to ride a whole lot lately but hopefully this weekend I can get some things done with her. How are your horses doing? Are Aries, Lucy, and Roger still at your place?

lucy is the other two are back at michelles, have u talked to her? lots been going on.........:popcorn:

ablondebarnbabe

hey brittney!
tis lauren

i think that that joint hoof and coat stuff works well for the coat, and it doesn't hurt to help out the hooves and joints
:)
later sista