Question to anyone in CCNPP danger zone

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Nuclear Power is widely considered the most efficient method for power generation. Just dont be fooled into thinking that a large disaster could never occur.

And just what kind of disaster do you envision occuring? This is just an honest question to gauge your knowledge of modern nuclear power stations and their systems?

ETA- Comparing Chernobyl to CCNPP, you must be one of the few that oppose the new proposal for another reactor huh? Sounds a bit like and agenda to me.

Last edited:

Vinny_DP

CCNP expansion

I really could care less about the CCNP expansion or the proposal for a new plant at the Elms site.

I was mistaken you are absolutely correct, there is no possible way that an accident could occur. People could easily verify this by just going to http://www.nrc.gov/ and searching for Calvert Cliffs.

Like you implied, people should just throw those pills away since there is no possible way they would ever be needed.

K

Kain99

Vinny_DP said:
I really could care less about the CCNP expansion or the proposal for a new plant at the Elms site.

I was mistaken you are absolutely correct, there is no possible way that an accident could occur. People could easily verify this by just going to http://www.nrc.gov/ and searching for Calvert Cliffs.

Like you implied, people should just throw those pills away since there is no possible way they would ever be needed.
What if an airplane crashed into the plant? No leakage?

Bonehead

Well lets see. First you would need to get through 3 feet of reinforced concrete with rebar the thickness of a persons arm, a steel liner, about 10" worth of carbon and stainless steel then you may dent some fuel and spill some water.

Midnightrider

Kain99 said:
What if an airplane crashed into the plant? No leakage?
they are actually designed to withstand the impact of a jet dropping from cruising altitude directly onto the containment building.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Midnightrider said:
they are actually designed to withstand the impact of a jet dropping from cruising altitude directly onto the containment building.
Not to sound like one of the :jameo: nuts, but so was the WTC.

Midnightrider

MMDad said:
Not to sound like one of the :jameo: nuts, but so was the WTC.
well i never heard that, but i did see data from the damage from a huricane that they used to estimate if the containments would actually act as designed. (I think it was one of the FL plants) a huricane picked up a telephone pole and slung it into the containment at some estimated speed. The engineers did some modeling and estimated that the design of US plants was sufficent to stop a jet.

Bonehead

Actually the DOE did a test where they had an F4 on a track and some means of accelerating the jet into a containment wall mock up. Long story short jet disintegrated and penetrated the concrete a couple of inches. There never has been a full scale test with something like a 747. Calculations have been done.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Vinny_DP said:

You suck and the intra-webs and your sarcasm is bad also.

MMDad

Lem Putt
keekee said:
Did anyone get those pills from the health dept after 9/11?
You were supposed to take them (if instructed to) if something went wrong at CCNPP. Only those in the danger circle got them...

Well mine just expired. So I'm wondering if I should replace them, or was that just something that was given out when the threat level was super-high?

Did anyone else get them? Are you replacing yours? TIA.

I think they are potassium somethingorother.
http://www.calverthealth.org/hot_topics/ki-update.html
If you received potassium iodide (KI) from the health department with an expiration date of March 2007 stamped on the package read the following information:
Potassium iodide is a very stable substance and it does not become ineffective if the package is not damaged.
The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has extended the expiration date of potassium iodide (KI) with the 3/07 expiration date for 2 years.
This means that potassium iodide (KI) with a 3/2007 expiration date is now approved by the FDA to use until 3/2009.
Do not dispose of potassium iodide (KI) with a 3/2007 expiration date unless the package is damaged.

MMDad

Lem Putt
:blahblah: .... said Kevin Kamps of the nuclear watchdog group Beyond Nuclear.
Great source to get all :jameo: over:
http://www.ct.gov/csc/lib/csc/kevinkampstestimony.pdf3. What is your professional background?
Before joining NIRS, I founded and directed the World Tree Multi-Cultural community Center for Peace, Justice and Mother Earth in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 1996 to 1999. My main work there was the Chernobyl Children’s Project, which brought groups of visually impaired children
from the former Soviet Union to the U.S. for medical attention and recreation.

In 1995, I took part in the Walk Across Europe for a Nuclear-Free World, a 3,500 mile international peace march from Brussels, Belgium to Moscow, Russia concerned with nuclear weapons issues and the aftermath of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear catastrophe.

In 1992, I took part in the 3,500 mile Walk Across America for Mother Earth from New York City to Nevada to end nuclear weapons testing at the Nevada Test Site.
I attended Earlham College, a Society of Friends (Quaker) school in Richmond, Indiana as well as Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
No degree, no scientific background, no professional background. Great source for the article, isn't it?