Question

BullDawg

Duck Molester
We have some temp contractors that were hired to do some short programming work. Many of them are Middle Eastern. One in particular has 3 lines “painted/dripped” down his forehead. I saw someone else in a mall in VA a month or so ago with the same thing. What is this called and what does it mean?

K

Kain99

Maybe you could walk up to one of them and ask... "Hey Dude, what's that crazy shiat on your forehead?" You could then go on to say... "It's really freaking us all out! Here's some Ivory, now go wash that crap off!":biggrin:

watercolor

yeah yeah
What would be the problem with just going up and asking?

Be like:

" I dont mean to be intrusive or rude...but I was just currious as to what the marks on your forehead are for in your culture"

Most he could say is I dont wanna talk about it

K

Kain99

Originally posted by watercolor23
What would be the problem with just going up and asking?

Be like:

" I dont mean to be intrusive or rude...but I was just currious as to what the marks on your forehead are for in your culture"

Most he could say is I dont wanna talk about it

That's what I said! Only, I was joking. :biggrin: It would take brass kahuna's to walk up to some guy and ask..... Bigger kahuna's than I've got.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Why?

Honestly...it is human nature to be currious...and also- I am sure he is a nice guy...and I am sure he has gotten the question before.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by watercolor23
Why?

Honestly...it is human nature to be currious...and also- I am sure he is a nice guy...and I am sure he has gotten the question before.

I'm assuming that's a serious question. So, here's my serious answer. Since 9/11 Middle Easterners have been placed under a microscope. They are viewed with distrust and even disdain by much of America.

Nice guy or not, he may view the question as an attack on his heritage. After all, we aren't in Oz any more Dorothy.

Those with roots in Islam have good reason to be defensive. On the other side of the card, Americans have good reason to be distrustful.

If you see a man who is missing a leg - do you walk up and ask how his leg got chopped off? Probably not. It's rude. :wink:

ThumpBumpDeDump

hehehehe...

Maybe he fell asleep on the way over and his buddies are playing a joke on him. Just point and laugh. :smile: If it wasn't a joke, you should find out soon after. :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kain99
Those with roots in Islam have good reason to be defensive. On the other side of the card, Americans have good reason to be distrustful.

You could always walk up and say, (of course, use your best Spicolli impersonation.) :biggrin:

"DUDE, in the bible is says people who where dammed got marked on the skull.....just like you got.....what did you do?"

BullDawg

Duck Molester
I guess I could ask the next time I'm standing next to him at the pisser, but this guy looks pretty freaky. It looks like the lines of blood running down his forehead. He also has a bit of an odor problem. Not BO, something else... Not sure what it is.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by BullDawg
I guess I could ask the next time I'm standing next to him at the pisser, but this guy looks pretty freaky. It looks like the lines of blood running down his forehead. He also has a bit of an odor problem. Not BO, something else... Not sure what it is.

I've seen that! There was a guy in Blairs video with that Blood stuff on his forehead... I didn't sniff him, guess it's a good thing I didn't! :biggrin:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Sounds like to me he is a member of some sect of the Hindu religion. Odds are that the "design" on his forehead proclaims his religion loud and clear to those that are of similiar backgrounds (kinda like seeing a cross or star of david on someone's necklace). The odor that you have observed is probably his "house" incense that he uses every morning in blessing his home and himself and for saying his prayers. His home and clothing are probably permeated with that particular incense smell.

Here is some detail about the markings:

Tilaka and Bindiya

The Tilaka is normally a vermilion mark applied on the forehead. This mark has a religious significance and is a visible sign of a person as belonging to the Hindu religion. The Tilaka is of more than one colour although normally it is vermilion. It also does not have any standard shape and form and is applied differently by members of different Hindu sects and sub-sects.

It is applied as a 'U' by worshippers of lord Vishnu and is red, yellow or saffron in colpur. It is made up of red ochre powder (Sindhura) and sandalwood paste (Gandha). Worshippers of lord Shiva apply it as three horizontal lines and it consists of ash (Bhasma). Soot (Abhira) is also used as a pigment for applying a Tilaka.

Thus there is a variety of pigments; red, yellow, saffron, white, grey and black, etc. These pigments are not only applied on the forehead but in some cases they are applied also on the forearms and the abdomen. This is normally so in the case of worshippers of Shiva, a deity whose origin is said to lie in the primitive pre-Arvan or proto-Aryan society.

Literally, Tilaka means a mark. Sindhura which is also used to describe a Tilaka means red and Gandha which is also a term for Tilaka means pleasant odour. Hence, Tilaka normally connotes, a red mark with a pleasant odour. Some scholars have seen the red colour as a symbolism for blood. We are told that in ancient times, in Aryan society, a groom used to apply his blood, on-his bride's forehead as a recognition of wedlock. The existing practice among Indian women of applying a round shaped red Tilaka called Bindiya or Kumkum could be a survival of this.

Significantly when an Indian woman has the misfortune of becoming a widow she has to stop wearing this mark. In a woman's case a Tilaka is a sign of her being in wedlock Among men, the Tilaka has been traditionally interpreted as a good luck charm. Apart from applying it in the course of normal life, its application had special significance while setting out for a battle, a hunt or before any other event of importance. To demonstrate the person's solemn commitment to succeed in the endeavour he was about to undertake, the Tilaka was made up of the person's own blood. Even today application of one's own blood as a Tilaka is considered to be a display of solemn commitment to the oath or pledge being undertaken.

How this practice of Tilaka came into being is an open question. But anthropological researches show that in most tribal societies in tropical and equatorial regions, there exist customs according to which people paint their naked or semi-naked bodies with different pigments. This may be for decorative and ritualistic reasons. Even today in our civilized way of life, during festivals like Holi or Carnival whose origins are supposed to lie in a primitive tribal past, the smearing of colours is an essential aspect of festivities. Tilaka could be a refined adaptation of this tribal practice.

On the whole it can be said that Tilaka is a survival of the tribal practice of smearing one's body with different colours. This practice was later refined and given a solemn meaning.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Indian dude...

...writing to his pals back home:

"Hey bro, work is going OK here in the US. We're almost done. However, I have a few questions and wonder if you would ask around. I don't want to be rude and ask an inappropriate question. We are guests after all!

Anyway, most of these people have holes and a piece of metal in the hole in just about every orifice on their head; nose, ears, lips, cheeks and, get this...tongues. Does this mean anything special? Maybe they fall asleep drunk and play tag, like we do with the forehead thing?

Also, theypretty much all have fake barbwire inked on their upper arms (the males) and around the ankles (the females). Is this simply how they tell the difference? Sometimes it's hard, so, I can see that.

Please, ask around. I'd like to avoid taking anything wrong and hurting anyone’s feelings. Give mom a hug and tell her she was right; the curry here sux!

Love, Me

PS: Uncle Smesch does own all the 7-11’s around here

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That plus...

...I am absolutley no fun in person. I can't think of anything to say without a keyboard in front of me...

"uh...Hi. ... ... ...I am...uh...Vraihub...I must go now..."

She got me for my looks.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Kain99
I'm assuming that's a serious question. So, here's my serious answer. Since 9/11 Middle Easterners have been placed under a microscope. They are viewed with distrust and even disdain by much of America.

Nice guy or not, he may view the question as an attack on his heritage. After all, we aren't in Oz any more Dorothy.

If you see a man who is missing a leg - do you walk up and ask how his leg got chopped off? Probably not. It's rude. :wink:

Well- Dunno what to tell you then. That is where you and I are both different I guess.

And not everyone thinks of 9/11 the same. There is no telling what the heck is going through someones mind. But- if you ask, then you will know.

And he doesnt have to outright say it- he could just strike up a converstaion first....We are all different and we all fear but wonder about the unknown- whos to say if this guy is not wondering "should I tell people what this about" or "I hope people dont have odd thoughts of me because of 9/11"

9/11 was a problem because a of few people, not the whole religion- nor the problem of all the islamic/middle eastern/ decent people either. Fear is brought by those who are ignorant and that is more or less what will happen if people act like the above.