Questions about Comcast internet and Roku

flowerlover

I know there's a thread about cutting the cord but it's too technical for me to follow 😕 Currently have Comcast internet and cable TV (and phone we never hooked up) - want to cancel the cable TV/phone and use a streaming device (Roku maybe) on TVs to access programming. We are paying $280!!!!! a month for this bundle and the equipment, and don't even have any premium channels. Ridiculous!! We currently have 1 smart TV (with main Comcast set-top box) that we can get Amazon prime content but others are not smart TVs. One TV is HD and also has a Comcast set-top box. The other 2 TVs are older/cheaper and we have the Comcast small digital adapter boxes that we pay $7/month each to get the TV channels. Will the Roku firestick Plus give us streaming access on the other 3 TVs? Do you recommend a different streaming device? Anyone know if Comcast will charge a fee to use these devices on 3 TVs? I'm presuming when we go to internet only we'll turn in all the boxes and have just a modem/router providing internet and we'd use wifi to stream to the devices. Thanks in advance for your help; I know you guys know your stuff. :)

Edit to add* I know Comcast recently introduced Flex TV which provides a box for $5/month per box that does not provide their cable package but does let you stream programming. However, I've also read it is limited to 2 boxes so it wouldn't cover all of our TVs. Anyone know anything else about it?

Chris0nllyn

A few things.

1. Are you in a contract with Comcast? They are typically 2 years. Leaving early may give you a penalty and they'll charge you.
  2. Sometimes if you call Comcast and threaten to leave, they will reduce the price for you.
  3. You have 3 TVs. 1 is a Smart TV, the other 2 are not. Do those other 2 TVs have a HDMI input? You'll need that for the Roku.
  4. Roku and Firestick are two different companies. Roku is Roku and firestick is by Amazon. Just to clarify.
  5. You will need a Roku (or whatever other player you want like Firestick, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.) for each TV.
  6. I like my Roku.
  7. Comast will only charge you for the internet. The cheapest plan is $75/mo. and is not dependent on the number of devices in your home.
  8. You're correct. You only need internet and not phone (unless you need it) or cable TV.
Regarding the internet, I recommend buying your own modem and router. It'll save you the $10/mo rental fee from Comcast.

Regarding Roku, if you want to use Sling TV, they have a promotion going on where if you pre-pay for 2 months of their service (the top-tier Orange and Blue plan is $40/mo) they send you a free Roku Express. If you pre-pay for 3 months you can get a Roku Ultra

https://www.sling.com/pm/free-roku-express?mkwid=s1YbGdFrH|pcrid|347735765182|pkw|sling%20free%20roku|pmt|e|pdv|c&cvosrc=ppc.google.D_B_COM_Roku+Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&cvo_crid=347735765182&matchtype=e&campaign=D_B_COM_Roku+Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&group=sling+free+roku&cvo_keyword=sling%20free%20roku&BS=1&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=D_B_COM_Roku+Terms_Brand_Alpha_sling&utm_term=sling%20free%20roku&matchtype=e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgY7d8oSw4wIVjIjICh0bCQuiEAAYASAAEgL1KPD_BwE

Roku Stick (mentioned above), IMO, is the way to go. I bought 2 sticks and got the free Roku deal for my third TV. The Roku Express (the one in the 2-month deal) doesn't have volume buttons so you'd need to use two remotes (one for Roku, one to adjust TV volume).