Quran 11:9. If We give the human being a taste of mercy from Us, and then withdraw it from him, he becomes despairing and ungrateful.
10. And if We give him a taste of prosperity, after some adversity has afflicted him, he will say, “Troubles have gone away from me.” He becomes excited and proud.
11. Except those who are patient and do good deeds—these will have forgiveness and a great reward.
12. Perhaps you wish to disregard some of what is revealed to you, and you may be stressed because of it, since they say, “If only a treasure was sent down to him, or an angel came with him.” You are only a warner, and God is Responsible for all things.
13. Or do they say, “He invented it?” Say, “Then produce ten chapters like it, invented, and call upon whomever you can, besides God, if you are truthful.”
14. But if they fail to answer you, know that it was revealed with God’s knowledge, and that there is no god but He. Will you then submit?
15. Whoever desires the worldly life and its glitter—We will fully recompense them for their deeds therein, and therein they will not be defrauded.
16. These—they will have nothing but the Fire in the Hereafter. Their deeds are in vain therein, and their works are null.
17. Is he who possesses a clear proof from his Lord, recited by a witness from Him, and before it the Book of Moses, a guide and a mercy? These believe in it. But whoever defies it from among the various factions, the Fire is his promise. So have no doubt about it. It is the truth from your Lord, but most people do not believe.
18. Who does greater wrong than he who fabricates lies about God? These will be presented before their Lord, and the witnesses will say, “These are they who lied about their Lord.” Indeed, the curse of God is upon the wrongdoers.
19. Those who hinder others from the path of God, and seek to make it crooked; and regarding the Hereafter, they are in denial.
20. These will not escape on earth, and they have no protectors besides God. The punishment will be doubled for them. They have failed to hear, and they have failed to see.
21. Those are the ones who lost their souls, and what they had invented has strayed away from them.
22. Without a doubt, in the Hereafter, they will be the biggest losers.
23. As for those who believe and do good deeds, and humble themselves before their Lord—these are the inhabitants of Paradise, where they will abide forever.
24. The parable of the two groups is that of the blind and the deaf, and the seeing and the hearing. Are they equal in comparison? Will you not reflect?
This is the commentary.
This passage does not signify that the Prophet intended to give up any part of the revelation; on the other hand, it is a strong statement indicating that he could not do it. It is a peculiar use of the word la‘alla. Rz says: “You say of a person when you intend to show his remoteness from a thing: Maybe (Ar., la‘alla-ka) you have power to do such a thing”.
The disbelievers are addressed here, the meaning being that, if the false gods or the leaders do not answer their devotees when they call on them to assist them in producing a like of the Qur’ån, then at least no doubt should be left in their minds that the Qur’ån is not the work of the Prophet, but a revelation from the Divine Being.
That is, their works and other deeds will not result in any good to them.
They would not escape the chastisement, if Allåh intended to punish them in this world. A‘jaza-h∂, of which mu‘jiz is the noun form, may also be translated as he found him without strength or ability, or he frustrated his power or purpose.
This only shows their great hatred of the truth. They could not bear even to hear what the Prophet said, and they ran away when he spoke.
Imagine waking up one day.... to a horrible day..... when nothing... absolutely nothing...is going right. When there are earthquakes and tornadoes and hurricanes all at once... and on top of that your good child.... not the mean one... the good one.... stamps a foot and refuses to listen..... and everything points to a horrible day.... you know, without intervention, this day is going to suck for 24 hours. That's the horrible day I'm describing.
What will you do?
These verses say.... if life didn't suck once in a while... well we wouldn't know to appreciate the good times.
Will you pray... "please Lord!"? Or will you put up a fist and blame it all on God? Or will you pull out your crystals that you purchased from the flyer that fell out of a magazine and place them just so for a life changing energy charge?
The truth is.... poop happens. That's why we have liability insurance on our cars... poop happens. That's why we have laws... poop happens.
This may seem off topic.... but my neighbor is confined to a wheel chair. She has a cute little dog. She manages to get the little dog out to the garage door.... she has a leash on a hook so her little dog can go out and do his business. He's a cute little thing.... he goes out and finds a spot in her yard.... poop happens and then they go inside. No one cleans up the poop.... for days.... poop happens.... get use to it. After all, she is confined to a wheel chair. Poop happens.... she lives next door in an apartment..... poop happens.... get use to it. See where I'm going with this?
It's how we handle the poop that counts. The winners..... they clean up the poop and keep on going. The losers.... they shake their fist and yell and holler and insist that something be done. She keep getting fined. The landscapers report her. Poop happens.
Those who leave their poop for someone else to deal with are the biggest losers.