Quran 2:121-130 On Ishmael and Isaac

seekeroftruth

Quran 2:121. Those to whom We have given the Scripture follow it, as it ought to be followed—these believe in it. But as for those who reject it—these are the losers.
122. O Children of Israel! Remember My blessing which I bestowed upon you, and that I have favored you over all people.
123. And beware of a Day when no soul will avail another soul in any way, and no ransom will be accepted from it, and no intercession will benefit it, and they will not be helped.
124. And when his Lord tested Abraham with certain words, and he fulfilled them. He said, “I am making you a leader of humanity.” He said, “And my descendants?” He said, “My pledge does not include the wrongdoers.
125. And We made the House a focal point for the people, and a sanctuary. Use the shrine of Abraham as a place of prayer. And We commissioned Abraham and Ishmael, “Sanctify My House for those who circle around it, and those who seclude themselves in it, and those who kneel and prostrate.”
126. When Abraham said, “O My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and provide its people with fruits—whoever of them believes in God and the Last Day.” He said, “And whoever disbelieves, I will give him a little enjoyment, then I will consign him to the punishment of the Fire; how miserable the destiny!”
127. As Abraham raises the foundations of the House, together with Ishmael, “Our Lord, accept it from us, You are the Hearer, the Knower.
128. Our Lord, and make us submissive to You, and from our descendants a community submissive to You. And show us our rites, and accept our repentance. You are the Acceptor of Repentance, the Merciful.
129. Our Lord, and raise up among them a messenger, of themselves, who will recite to them Your revelations, and teach them the Book and wisdom, and purify them. You are the Almighty, the Wise.”
130. Who would forsake the religion of Abraham, except he who fools himself? We chose him in this world, and in the Hereafter he will be among the righteous.

Ishmael.... I remember him. I saw his name come up and I thought.... what??? Ishmael was the bastard son..... well the surrogate son... my church treated Ishmael as though he was trivial.

Abraham loved Sarah.... but Sarah couldn't get pregnant. So she got her handmaid [slave?], Hagar, to be a surrogate because Abraham had to have a male heir. Then Sarah got pregnant herself.... so she made Abraham chase Hagar and Ishmael aside. Now according to the Bible... Hagar prayed to God.... and God told Hagar that He would watch over Ishmael's family.

The Quran, here, is telling me that the family of Ishmael was the beginning of the Muslim redemption. The Quran says that Isaac, Abraham's other son with Sarah, and Ishmael, Abraham's son with Hagar, are equal in blessings. God loves Ishmael's family just as much as those "chosen" descendants of Isaac.

I wonder.... how many families have been torn apart for the same reasons Isaac and Ishmael were taught to argue....

I wonder.... why didn't I hear about all this in my Southern Baptist church?

Why didn't my church teach both sides of the story. One commentary says Kedar was Ishmael's son and Kedar is mentioned in the Bible. Another commentary shows the Kedarites [descendants of Ishmael's son] were attacked by the Persians too.... that was when that mad king was throwing Daniel into the lion's den or putting those three guys in the furnace only to see them walk out of the fire without even a smell of smoke in their clothes. Kedar was an Arab.

Noah had three sons.... Abraham had two sons..... and the Quran tells us that Ishamel was just as special to God as Isaac.

☕