Quran 2:161. But as for those who reject faith, and die rejecting—those—upon them is the curse of God, and of the angels, and of all humanity.
162. They will remain under it forever, and the torment will not be lightened for them, and they will not be reprieved.
163. Your God is one God. There is no god but He, the Benevolent, the Compassionate.
164. In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of night and day; in the ships that sail the oceans for the benefit of mankind; in the water that God sends down from the sky, and revives the earth with it after it had died, and scatters in it all kinds of creatures; in the changing of the winds, and the clouds disposed between the sky and the earth; are signs for people who understand.
165. Yet among the people are those who take other than God as equals to Him. They love them as the love of God. But those who believe have greater love for God. If only the wrongdoers would realize, when they see the torment; that all power is God’s, and that God is severe in punishment.
166. Those who were followed will then disown those who followed them, and they will see the retribution, and ties between them will be severed.
167. Those who followed will say, “If only we can have another chance, we will disown them, as they disowned us.” Thus God will show them their deeds, as regrets to them, and they will not come out of the Fire.
168. O people! Eat of what is lawful and good on earth, and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. He is to you an open enemy.
169. He commands you to do evil and vice, and to say about God what you do not know.
170. And when it is said to them, “Follow what God has revealed,” they say, “We will follow what we found our ancestors following.” Even if their ancestors understood nothing, and were not guided?
Suppose you went to church and when you got there.... they weren't worshipping God.... they were worshipping Satan.... would you turn and leave or would you figure this was just the next thing the preacher is teaching? And if you found out the preacher was really worshipping Satan in the services.... would you leave then or would you figure "hey... he's the preacher... he knows what he's doing"?.
Suppose you were asked to join church leadership and you became aware that the church had been mistakenly worshipping Satan all along.... and when you brought that up... you were told "but we've always worshipped this way so it must be the right way"..... would you pound a pulpit and warn the church membership before leaving shouting "get thee away from me Satan"? If you did pound the pulpit, would anyone listen or would they just reply "sit down, be quiet, that's the way we've always done it"?
Just because I have been taught "Abraham and Sarah had it all right the whole time"..... Just because I was always taught.... "Don't worry about Hagar and Ishmael... God will handle that... keep your eye on Sarah's son... he's the legitimate one".... doesn't make it right.
Think about it... how many people in the church leadership are covering up a baby who "died" or the "bastard son" of an employee in the church leadership? Oh those leaders were there when we got here and they will volunteer as long as they can to keep the preacher off of the topic that barbs them.... and they control the church because they control the finances.... the preacher's home is at stake.... so the preacher is "encouraged" not to rock the boat or preach whatever inconvenient truth that is lurking just below the conversation of the church leadership.
We are encouraged here.... to "follow what God has revealed".
I think this is about having faith in God.