Quran 2:181-189 Stuff

seekeroftruth

Quran 2:181. But whoever changes it after he has heard it, the guilt is upon those who change it. God is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.
182. Should someone suspect bias or injustice on the part of a testator, and then reconciles between them, he commits no sin. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
183. O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become righteous.
184. For a specified number of days. But whoever among you is sick, or on a journey, then a number of other days. For those who are able: a ransom of feeding a needy person. But whoever volunteers goodness, it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew.
185. Ramadan is the month in which the Quran was revealed. Guidance for humanity, and clear portents of guidance, and the Criterion. Whoever of you witnesses the month, shall fast it. But whoever is sick, or on a journey, then a number of other days. God desires ease for you, and does not desire hardship for you, that you may complete the number, and celebrate God for having guided you, so that you may be thankful.
186. And when My servants ask you about Me, I Am near; I answer the call of the caller when he calls on Me. So let them answer Me, and have faith in Me, that they may be rightly guided.
187. Permitted for you is intercourse with your wives on the night of the fast. They are a garment for you, and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray yourselves, but He turned to you and pardoned you. So approach them now, and seek what God has ordained for you, and eat and drink until the white streak of dawn can be distinguished from the black streak. Then complete the fast until nightfall. But do not approach them while you are in retreat at the mosques. These are the limits of God, so do not come near them. God thus clarifies His revelations to the people, that they may attain piety.
188. And do not consume one another’s wealth by unjust means, nor offer it as bribes to the officials in order to consume part of other people’s wealth illicitly, while you know.
189. They ask you about the crescents. Say, “They are timetables for people, and for the Hajj.” It is not virtuous that you approach homes from their backs, but virtue is to be pious. So approach homes from their doors, and observe God, that you may succeed.
Hajj means journey.... sort of.... mostly. I would really suggest that if you have the slightest urge to scratch an itch that just started.... go to the commentary.

Oh... and I love how these verses state straight out... sex is allowed during the fasting period. And there are adjustments to allow for those who are too sick to fast or in a place where fasting would be difficult or dangerous.... in those cases... they still have to fast... but they can put it on hold until they are well enough to survive a few days without food.... or until they arrive home from their journey.

This is supposed to be about fasting. I dropped verse 190 this morning because it seemed to move to a new topic. These verses seem to be about fasting and stuff.

Ok... Ramadan is the 9th month of the Arab calendar. According to the commentary.... it means the "hottest month". They have a fast during the hottest month of the year. Oh that makes so much sense. God really lets us know how to use these body of ours. During the hottest month... heat stroke is a real threat.... but if we fast.... we can avoid the heat and enter into worship.

According to what I just read in the commentary.....

But Islåm has introduced quite a new meaning into the institution of fasting. Before Islåm, fasting meant the suffering of some privation in times of mourning and sorrow; in Islåm, it becomes an institution for the improvement of the moral and spiritual condition of man. This is plainly stated in the concluding words, so that you may guard against evil. The object is that man may learn how he can shun evil, and hence fasting in Islåm does not mean simply abstaining from food, but from every kind of evil. In fact, abstention from food is only a step to make a man realize that if he can, in obedience to Divine injunctions, abstain from that which is otherwise lawful, how much more necessary is it that he should abstain from the evil ways which are forbidden by God. All the institutions of Islåm are, in fact, practical steps leading to perfect purification of the soul. But along with moral elevation, which is aimed at in fasting, another object seems to be hinted at, i.e., that the Muslims should habituate themselves to suffer tribulations and hardships physically as well.

It's as if doing without.... makes us more inclined to help our neighbors.

I know what it's like to be without food. I didn't do it on purpose.... and I had three kids dependent on me for food. I know the lack of food will increase charity in your heart. Even though I didn't have enough for me and mine.... I was willing to share with others who didn't have any at all.

In my life.... I've met a few people who would have been a lot better off if they had to "go without" just once. They have no concept of "need". Jesus said not to complain about the fasting.... just do it. It's not supposed to make you "look better".... it's about finding out how great you really have it.... doing without adds perspective to everything.... fasting makes us appreciate what we have.... and it dulls the urge to "want".

I think this tells me that fasting is about doing without what we "want"..... and concentrating on what we "need". We need God.... not stuff.

☕