Quran 2:190-202 Worship trumps War

seekeroftruth

Quran 2:190. And fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not commit aggression; God does not love the aggressors.
191. And kill them wherever you overtake them, and expel them from where they had expelled you. Oppression is more serious than murder. But do not fight them at the Sacred Mosque, unless they fight you there. If they fight you, then kill them. Such is the retribution of the disbelievers.
192. But if they cease, then God is Forgiving and Merciful.
193. And fight them until there is no oppression, and worship becomes devoted to God alone. But if they cease, then let there be no hostility except against the oppressors.
194. The sacred month for the sacred month; and sacrilege calls for retaliation. Whoever commits aggression against you, retaliate against him in the same measure as he has committed against you. And be conscious of God, and know that God is with the righteous.
195. And spend in the cause of God, and do not throw yourselves with your own hands into ruin, and be charitable. God loves the charitable.
196. And carry out the Hajj and the Umrah for God. But if you are prevented, then whatever is feasible of offerings. And do not shave your heads until the offering has reached its destination. Whoever of you is sick, or has an injury of the head, then redemption of fasting, or charity, or worship. When you are secure: whoever continues the Umrah until the Hajj, then whatever is feasible of offering. But if he lacks the means, then fasting for three days during the Hajj and seven when you have returned, making ten in all. This is for he whose household is not present at the Sacred Mosque. And remain conscious of God, and know that God is stern in retribution.
197. The Hajj is during specific months. Whoever decides to perform the Hajj—there shall be no sexual relations, nor misconduct, nor quarrelling during the Hajj. And whatever good you do, God knows it. And take provisions, but the best provision is righteousness. And be mindful of Me, O people of understanding.
198. You commit no error by seeking bounty from your Lord. When you disperse from Arafat, remember God at the Sacred Landmark. And remember Him as He has guided you. Although, before that, you were of those astray.
199. Then disperse from where the people disperse, and ask God for forgiveness. God is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful
200. When you have completed your rites, remember God as you remember your parents, or even more. Among the people is he who says, “Our Lord, give us in this world,” yet he has no share in the Hereafter.
201. And among them is he who says, “Our Lord, give us goodness in this world, and goodness in the Hereafter, and protect us from the torment of the Fire.”
202. These will have a share of what they have earned. God is swift in reckoning.

So.... as I understand it.....the Hajj and the Umrah are "trips" a believer makes to synagogue. The Hajj is the trip to the Sacred Mosque at Mecca and there are certain religious rites they perform when they get there. Muslims are required to do "whatever is feasible of offerings". The Hajj took place on one specific date each year and the Umrah happens several times a year. The Hajj requires the believer to make a once in a lifetime trip.... the Umrah is a normal appearance in the local mosque. I think it's like going to Bethlehem for the Christians.... if they can make it..... or going to the local church on a regular basis.... if they can make it.

Not only are there specific worship instructions in these verses.... war is also defined.

This is from the commentary.

It is clear from both these references that the Muslims were allowed to take up the sword only as a measure of self-defence. The enemies of Islåm, being unable to suppress Islåm by persecution, and seeing that Islåm was now safe at Madßnah and gaining strength, took up the sword to annihilate it. They knew that as yet the Muslims were very few in number and they thought they could extirpate Islåm, by resorting to the sword. Their war against Islåm was a war for the annihilation of Islåm, as stated further on: “They will not cease fighting you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can”. No course was left for the Muslims but either to be swept off the face of the earth or take up the sword in defence against an enemy which was a thousand times stronger.
It should be noted that it is this defensive fighting which is called fighting in the way of Allåh. Fighting for the propagation of faith is not once mentioned in the whole of the Qur’ån.​
See Arafat in verse 198? The commentary says they were about 9 miles from Mount Arafat..... that's where, according to the Bible.... God gave Moses the Ten Commandments. It's also where the descendants of Jacob [Israel...from Isaac's side of the family] worshipped the golden calf.

A little note here.... according to the commentary.... when they get to Mecca.... they are to wear similar clothing. No rich people dressed in the finest and poor dressed in the least tattered..... dressed similar so the attention in the Mosque remains on God... not the guy wreaking of Old Spice and fine whiskey, and dressed in the thousand dollar suit.

The most interesting thing to me.... though.... is in verse 193. They are only allowed to fight back.... and once the other side stops fighting.... Muslims are required to put down their sword and stop fighting. According to the commentary.... the world wants to do away with them.... and they are to fight only to prevent that from happening.

I think it also shows that attacking the mosque, which is becoming common lately, is like poking the bear. Muslims go to Mosque to worship. Worship trumps war.... but if anyone wants war.... Muslims will only fight as long as others are attacking them.... according to the Quran...

Worship trumps war.....

☕

Please remember... this is all new to me... I'm an old woman, raised in the Southern Baptist Church reading the Quran for the first time..... so what do I know?! Forgive me if I get this wrong.... and please correct me if I get off course.