Quran 2:233. Mothers may nurse their infants for two whole years, for those who desire to complete the nursing-period. It is the duty of the father to provide for them and clothe them in a proper manner. No soul shall be burdened beyond its capacity. No mother shall be harmed on account of her child, and no father shall be harmed on account of his child. The same duty rests upon the heir. If the couple desire weaning, by mutual consent and consultation, they commit no error by doing so. You commit no error by hiring nursing-mothers, as long as you pay them fairly. And be wary of God, and know that God is Seeing of what you do.
234. As for those among you who die and leave widows behind, their widows shall wait by themselves for four months and ten days. When they have reached their term, there is no blame on you regarding what they might honorably do with themselves. God is fully acquainted with what you do.
235. You commit no error by announcing your engagement to women, or by keeping it to yourselves. God knows that you will be thinking about them. But do not meet them secretly, unless you have something proper to say. And do not confirm the marriage tie until the writing is fulfilled. And know that God knows what is in your souls, so beware of Him. And know that God is Forgiving and Forbearing.
236. You commit no error by divorcing women before having touched them, or before having set the dowry for them. And compensate them—the wealthy according to his means, and the poor according to his means—with a fair compensation, a duty upon the doers of good.
237. If you divorce them before you have touched them, but after you had set the dowry for them, give them half of what you specified—unless they forego the right, or the one in whose hand is the marriage contract foregoes it. But to forego is nearer to piety. And do not forget generosity between one another. God is seeing of everything you do.
238. Guard your prayers, and the middle prayer, and stand before God in devotion.
239. But if you are in fear, then on foot, or riding. And when you are safe, remember God, as He taught you what you did not know
240. Those of you who die and leave wives behind—a will shall provide their wives with support for a year, provided they do not leave. If they leave, you are not to blame for what they do with themselves, provided it is reasonable. God is Mighty and Wise.
241. And divorced women shall be provided for, equitably—a duty upon the righteous.
I started to title this "Alimony".... but I realized it's about widows too. So this is what the Quran says about leaving women behind by divorce or death.
I wonder... how many marriages are in tatters because of COVID. How many healthcare workers have lost their grip on reality due to the ravages the task of caring for a human on a ventilator only to watch them die..... and then gone home to quarantine.... without companionship or compassion?
How many have barked at their family and friends due to the horror of the COVID ward and the intense emotional toll the disease is taking on families?
How many marriages didn't survive the pandemic?
A widow has to wait by herself for four and a half months.... before she can go out in the world again. A will is supposed to provide for her needs for the first year.... but after that..... this was written in the days way before women got the right to vote. In some Muslim countries.... woman still have no voice. What is to become of them after the first year? It says.... God knows what a woman will do after that waiting period. Hhhmmmm.....
A divorce can happen at several stages in the marriage.... a secret engagement.... a new marriage [before they actually get to the wedding bed].... or a marriage that has been established. At every point.... it's ok to divorce.... but the divorced woman must receive alimony. Just because they thought they were going to spend the rest of their lives with one man..... they should not be thrown homeless into the streets when they are no longer "wanted".
Yeah... I know... it's all a big fake and a good Southern Baptist Christian has no business even thinking she should be reading the Quran at the age of 70. What's wrong with her!..... but I want to know what's going on.... even at 70.
First thing this morning I heard a mosque was attacked and hundreds were injured..... we're not supposed to be attacking the mosque. We should not be attacking the churches, synagogues, or the mosques.... that is definitely poking a bear..... it not only pisses off the humans who worship in those places.... it makes God angry.... right?
So I guess I'm just trying to figure out what makes us Christians so different from those Muslims.
So far.... according to what I'm reading here.... they are a tad bit kinder to the women they leave behind.
So far.... Muslims are called to provide for their wives.....