Quran 2:242. God thus explains His revelations to you, so that you may understand.
243. Have you not considered those who fled their homes, by the thousands, fearful of death? God said to them, “Die.” Then He revived them. God is Gracious towards the people, but most people are not appreciative.
244. Fight in the cause of God, and know that God is Hearing and Knowing.
245. Who is he who will offer God a generous loan, so He will multiply it for him manifold? God receives and amplifies, and to Him you will be returned.
246. Have you not considered the notables of the Children of Israel after Moses? When they said to a prophet of theirs, “Appoint a king for us, and we will fight in the cause of God.” He said, “Is it possible that, if fighting was ordained for you, you would not fight?” They said, “Why would we not fight in the cause of God, when we were driven out of our homes, along with our children?” But when fighting was ordained for them, they turned away, except for a few of them. But God is aware of the wrongdoers.
247. Their prophet said to them, “God has appointed Saul to be your king.” They said, “How can he have authority over us, when we are more worthy of authority than he, and he was not given plenty of wealth?” He said, “God has chosen him over you, and has increased him in knowledge and stature.” God bestows His sovereignty upon whomever He wills. God is Embracing and Knowing.
248. And their prophet said to them, “The proof of his kingship is that the Ark will be restored to you, bringing tranquility from your Lord, and relics left by the family of Moses and the family of Aaron. It will be carried by the angels. In that is a sign for you, if you are believers.”
249. When Saul set out with the troops, he said, “God will be testing you with a river. Whoever drinks from it does not belong with me. But whoever does not drink from it, does belong with me, except for whoever scoops up a little with his hand.” But they drank from it, except for a few of them. Then, when he crossed it, he and those who believed with him, they said, “We have no strength to face Goliath and his troops today.” But those who knew that they would meet God said, “How many a small group has defeated a large group by God’s will. God is with the steadfast.”
250. And when they confronted Goliath and his troops, they said, “Our Lord, pour down patience on us, and strengthen our foothold, and support us against the faithless people.”
251. And they defeated them by God’s leave, and David killed Goliath, and God gave him sovereignty and wisdom, and taught him as He willed. Were it not for God restraining the people, some by means of others, the earth would have gone to ruin. But God is gracious towards mankind.
252. These are God’s revelations, which We recite to you in truth. You are one of the messengers.
253. These messengers: We gave some advantage over others. To some of them God spoke directly, and some He raised in rank. We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear miracles, and We strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. Had God willed, those who succeeded them would not have fought one another, after the clear signs had come to them; but they disputed; some of them believed, and some of them disbelieved. Had God willed, they would not have fought one another; but God does whatever He desires.
254. O you who believe! Spend from what We have given you, before a Day comes in which there is neither trading, nor friendship, nor intercession. The disbelievers are the wrongdoers.
255. God! There is no god except He, the Living, the Everlasting. Neither slumber overtakes Him, nor sleep. To Him belongs everything in the heavens and everything on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His permission? He knows what is before them, and what is behind them; and they cannot grasp any of His knowledge, except as He wills. His Throne extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation does not burden Him. He is the Most High, the Great.
Verse 245 cracked me up this morning. The question is "who's got the balls to offer God a loan?".... well it's paraphrased here.... but I mean come on.... God didn't invent money.... that's on the humans. Humans love riches more than God.
Verse 247 is talking about how the humans wanted a king.... So God gave them Saul. He was just what they wanted.... a pretty boy from a prosperous family. But they wouldn't fight for Saul.... they were cowards. A few were brave.... David is used as an example. A few were weeded out to be warriors in verse 249. God sorted them out.... God doesn't need big numbers.... God doesn't need humans..... God wants humans who are faithful.
Verse 253 is talking about the way people treated Jesus. God gave Jesus every opportunity. God gave Jesus the ability to show miracles..... and God gave Jesus the Holy Spirit to move humans to action with wisdom. The humans hung Him on a cross.
It all comes down to believing in God. Yes... a good little Southern Baptist would shout about "Jesus is the Son of God".... not just the son of Mary. But the point is made.... we had God in our midst twice.... once in Eden... where we disobeyed the rules.... and once in Jerusalem.... where we hung Him on a cross.
God doesn't want anyone who doesn't want Him.
God doesn't have to bow down to humans.
God does whatever He decides.