Quran 2:61-70

seekeroftruth

Quran 2:61 And recall when you said, “O Moses, we cannot endure one kind of food, so call to your Lord to produce for us of what the earth grows: of its herbs, and its cucumbers, and its garlic, and its lentils, and its onions.” He said, “Would you substitute worse for better? Go down to Egypt, where you will have what you asked for.” They were struck with humiliation and poverty, and incurred wrath from God. That was because they rejected God’s revelations and wrongfully killed the prophets. That was because they disobeyed and transgressed.
62. Those who believe, and those who are Jewish, and the Christians, and the Sabeans—any who believe in God and the Last Day, and act righteously—will have their reward with their Lord; they have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.
63. And recall when We received a pledge from you, and raised the Mount above you: “Take what We have given you earnestly, and remember what is in it, that you may attain righteousness.”
64. But after that you turned away. Were it not for God’s grace and mercy towards you, you would have been among the losers.
65. And you surely knew those of you who violated the Sabbath. We said to them, “Be despicable apes!”
66. Thus We made it a deterrent for their generation, and for subsequent generations, and a lesson for the righteous.
67. And recall when Moses said to his people, “God commands you to sacrifice a heifer.” They said, “Do you make a mockery of us?” He said, “God forbid that I should be so ignorant.”
68. They said, “Call upon your Lord to show us which one.” He said, “He says she is a heifer, neither too old, nor too young, but in between. So do what you are commanded.”
69. They said, “Call upon your Lord to show us what her color is.” He said, “He says she is a yellow heifer, bright in color, pleasing to the beholders.”
70. They said, “Call upon your Lord to show us which one; the heifers look alike to us; and God willing, we will be guided.

See it in verse 62.... Christians are included.... or at least that's what I think it says.

I went back to the muslim.org site for the commentary.

This is about he despicable apes in verse 65.

The root meaning of sabt (from which Sabt, meaning Sabbath, is derived) is cutting off (R). The Sabt or the Sabbath is so called because the Jews ceased thereon from work. The Jews and the Christians observed a particular day for religious worship, and they were forbidden to do any work on that day. In this sense there is no Sabbath among the Muslims, because in Islåm no particular day is set apart for Divine worship. On the other hand, the Muslim is required to pray in the very midst of his everyday work, and even the Jumu‘ah (Friday) prayers are no exception, for the Qur’ån expressly allows the doing of work both before and after the Jumu‘ah prayers (see 62:9a). The commandments regarding the observance of the Sabbath by the Jews are manifold, but we find the Jews so persistently violating them that the later prophets openly reproved them for it (see next note).​
There's a lot of talk about slaughtering a cow.....

The slaughter of the cow referred to in this verse has nothing in common with the slaying of a heifer as an expiation of an uncertain murder in Deut. 21:1–9, or the slaughter of a red heifer, the ashes of which purify one who has touched the dead body of any man (Num. 19:1–19), except the fact that as the Israelites held the cow in great honour, and even worshipped it, as is clear from their worship of the golden calf, they were ordered to slaughter such cows as were usually let abroad and worshipped as sacred objects — cows not wrought with, nor drawn in yoke, but let loose to wander abroad. The cow mentioned in these verses is a typical cow answering this description. This type of cow is still an object of special reverence in India, and the slaughter of this particular type was especially enjoined upon the Jews, according to the Bible as well as the Holy Qur’ån, the object being to root out cow-worship from among them. But whereas the Biblical injunction to slaughter a heifer is a general injunction to be observed whenever an uncertain murder takes place or an unclean person is to be purified, the injunction as contained in the Qur’ån points to the slaughter of one particular cow which was probably likely to become an object of worship. Indeed, there is a striking resemblance between the colour of the golden calf and the cow ordered to be slaughtered.​

I haven't read the Quran as I have read the Bible. This is all new to me. I have to admit.... I'm not understanding this.... yet.

☕

PS.... having eye surgery again today.... but they are operating on the "good" eye. Please say a prayer that my eyes will work. I don't want to be blind.