Quran 3:31. Say, “If you love God, then follow me, and God will love you, and will forgive you your sins.” God is Forgiving and Merciful.
32. Say, “Obey God and the Messenger.” But if they turn away—God does not love the faithless.
33. God chose Adam, and Noah, and the family of Abraham, and the family of Imran, over all mankind.
34. Offspring one of the other. God is Hearer and Knower.
35. The wife of Imran said, “My Lord, I have vowed to You what is in my womb, dedicated, so accept from me; You are the Hearer and Knower.”
36. And when she delivered her, she said, “My Lord, I have delivered a female,” and God was well aware of what she has delivered, “and the male is not like the female, and I have named her Mary, and have commended her and her descendants to Your protection, from Satan the outcast.”
37. Her Lord accepted her with a gracious reception, and brought her a beautiful upbringing, and entrusted her to the care of Zechariah. Whenever Zechariah entered upon her in the sanctuary, he found her with provision. He said, “O Mary, where did you get this from?” She said, “It is from God; God provides to whom He wills without reckoning.”
38. Thereupon Zechariah prayed to his Lord; he said, “My Lord, bestow on me good offspring from Your presence; You are the Hearer of Prayers.”
39. Then the angels called out to him, as he stood praying in the sanctuary: “God gives you good news of John; confirming a Word from God, and honorable, and moral, and a prophet; one of the upright.”
40. He said, “My Lord, how will I have a son, when old age has overtaken me, and my wife is barren?” He said, “Even so, God does whatever He wills.”
This is the commentary I read.....
The story of Mary and Zacharias is almost the same as in the Bible.... Mary was raised in a God loving family. Her father and her uncle were active in Priesthood. Mary heard about God as a child playing with a rattle.... and all through her life she heard what "Dad" said when he came home from work. When Mary became pregnant.... she went to her cousin's house.... while her cousin [who was married to a Priest] was pregnant with John [the Baptist].
So this part is pretty much how it is in the Bible.... only in the Quran.... verse 37 says whenever Zechariah entered her room... there was always something there that wasn't there before. God was looking after Mary.
I want to get a tad off topic..... most mornings I post this first thing.... through my first couple cups of coffee... then I make breakfast for hubby... and start the rest of my day... you know facebook, emails, dishes etc...... but this morning my daughter called.... then hubby was ready for breakfast... so my day got shoveled into a different routine [temporarily]. I had time to think about the study before posting.
I read where the Quran was penned or assembled in the 6th Century.... that's 500-600 after the birth of Jesus. I'm a good Southern Baptist of Irish descent.... so I know a little of the tattled tales of the Christian Church back in those days. The church was run by men who were waited on by women. The men were called Priest.... the women were called Nuns.... and there was a lot of "intercourse" between the Priests and the Nuns. It's not a lot of difference between what was going on back then and what the preachers and priests are accused of now.... and I'm sure a lot of people began to test the truth of the "scriptures" the priests and the preachers were spewing.
So that brings me back to good little Mary.... a virgin who was devoted to the Church.... someone was providing for her.... in her private quarters..... and she got pregnant. She was a good girl raised in the shadow of the Temple.
Just saying.... Mary?