Quran 3:61. And if anyone disputes with you about him, after the knowledge that has come to you, say, “Come, let us call our children and your children, and our women and your women, and ourselves and yourselves, and let us invoke God’s curse on the liars.”
62. This is the narrative of truth: there is no god but God. God is the Mighty, the Wise.
63. But if they turn away—God knows the corrupt.
64. Say, “O People of the Book, come to terms common between us and you: that we worship none but God, and that we associate nothing with Him, and that none of us takes others as lords besides God.” And if they turn away, say, “Bear witness that we have submitted.”
65. O People of the Book! Why do you argue about Abraham, when the Torah and the Gospel were not revealed until after him? Will you not reason?
66. Here you are—you argue about things you know, but why do you argue about things you do not know? God knows, and you do not know.
67. Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but he was a Monotheist, a Muslim. And he was not of the Polytheists.
68. The people most deserving of Abraham are those who followed him, and this prophet, and those who believe. God is the Guardian of the believers.
69. A party of the People of the Book would love to lead you astray, but they only lead themselves astray, and they do not realize it.
70. O People of the Book! Why do you reject the revelations of God, even as you witness?
71. O People of the Book! Why do you confound the truth with falsehood, and knowingly conceal the truth?
72. Some of the People of the Book say, “Believe in what was revealed to the believers at the beginning of the day, and reject it at its end, so that they may return.”
73. And trust none except those who follow your religion.” Say, “Guidance is God’s guidance. If someone is given the like of what you were given, or they argue with you before your Lord, say, “All grace is in God’s hand; He gives it to whomever He wills.” God is Bounteous and Knowing.
74. He specifies His mercy for whomever He wills. God is Possessor of Sublime Grace.
75. Among the People of the Book is he, who, if you entrust him with a heap of gold, he will give it back to you. And among them is he, who, if you entrust him with a single coin, he will not give it back to you, unless you keep after him. That is because they say, “We are under no obligation towards the gentiles.” They tell lies about God, and they know it.
So, the commentary this morning goes back to a scripture in the Old Testament.
Deuteronomy 18:18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him.
OK... review time.... the people who started the Muslim religion..... were related to Abraham just as the Jews and the Christians..... but.... the Jews and the Christians all follow the traditions set out by Isaac's side of the family and the Muslims all follow the traditions set out by Ishmael's side of the family.
Imagine your great great great whatever grandfather had two sons.... one was considered a great son until the second showed up...... then the first son was labeled a bastard and the second son took over the position of greatness. Consider this.... which holidays would bring the whole family together?
So who are "the People of the Book"? This is what I found when I googled it.
People of the Book (Arabic: أهل الكتاب, ahl al-kitāb) or People of the Scripture is an Islamic term which refers to Jews, Christians, and Sabians. It is also used in Judaism to refer to the Jewish people and by members of some Christian denominations to refer to themselves.
When Noah got off the boat..... and his three sons followed..... they belonged to God. There were no other humans on earth.... the flood is evident worldwide.... according to the scientists. What holiday would bring Noah's family back for a reunion?
Muslims believe "the People of the Book" got it wrong. The only true worship is the worship of God. All humans are equal when they believe in the one true God. All humans will have to decide one way or another at Judgement. Muslims say they have the most right to decide where the real family reunion should take place. The Muslims say.... "the People of the Book" are listening to the wrong story.
The Muslim descendants of Abraham do not respect Jesus because Jesus didn't respect the laws handed down by Moses. Jesus would purposely heal on the Sabbath. Jesus would let His disciples gather grain on the Sabbath without admonishing them. God gave the laws [Torah] to the humans.... and the Muslims seem to be accusing the Christians and Jews of twisting the law to suit themselves.
So.... what if we aren't in the book at all? At Judgement day.... will those who don't believe in God be in the same line as "the People of the Book"?