Quran 5:94-101 It took away my peace

seekeroftruth

Quran 5:94. O you who believe! God will test you with something of the game your hands and spears obtain, that God may know who fears Him at heart. Whoever commits aggression after that will have a painful punishment.
95. O you who believe! do not kill game while you are in pilgrim sanctity. Whoever of you kills any intentionally, its penalty shall be a domestic animal comparable to what he killed, as determined by two honest persons among you—an offering delivered to the Kaabah. Or he may atone by feeding the needy, or its equivalent in fasting, so that he may taste the consequences of his conduct. God forgives what is past. But whoever repeats, God will take revenge on him. God is Almighty, Avenger.
96. Permitted for you is the catch of sea, and its food—as sustenance for you and for travelers. But forbidden for you is the game of land while you are in pilgrim sanctity. And fear God, to Whom you will be gathered.
97. God has appointed the Kaabah, the Sacred House, a sanctuary for the people, and the Sacred Month, and the offerings, and the garlanded. That you may know that God knows everything in the heavens and the earth, and that God is Cognizant of all things.
98. Know that God is severe in retribution, and that God is Forgiving and Merciful.
99. The Messenger’s sole duty is to convey. God knows what you reveal and what you conceal.
100. Say: “The bad and the good are not equal, even though the abundance of the bad may impress you. So be conscious of God, O you who possess intelligence, that you may succeed.”
101. O you who believe! Do not ask about things that would trouble you if disclosed to you. But if you were to ask about them while the Quran is being revealed, they will become obvious to you. God forgives that. God is Forgiving and Clement.
This is from the commentary.

The prohibition to kill game when on pilgrimage, mentioned in vv. 94–96, is a token of respect for the security of the Ka‘bah (see v. 97), in addition to being a measure necessary for the safety of life in such a large gathering.
Ba√r is used here in an extensive sense, and by the game of the sea is meant all water game, whether sea, river, pond, or lake.
This is a prophetic announcement that the Ka‘bah will forever remain a support or stay for men, where pilgrims will flock from all parts of the world. The reference to this prophecy is elucidated in the concluding words: “That is that you may know that Allåh knows whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth”; that is, the fulfilment of this prophecy in all future ages will be a sign of the great knowledge of Allåh, Who pronounced it at a time when the Ka‘bah was hardly known beyond the environs of Arabia; see 3:97a.​
This is screaming.... "don't take you guns to town son.... leave your guns at home".

It's also reminding me of the Westerns we watch..... Doc Holiday and the Wyatt Brothers taking the guns from the people who came into Tombstone so if there is a shoot out.... everyone knows it's intentional. Leaving your guns at home... or in your pack.... meant you were there in peace.

I know I've spoken about the last time I went to a brick and mortar church. The church was in Apache Junction. It was pre-Pandemic. Heck, it was some time ago. Anyway.... they had their guns strapped to their hips. It was an open carry state... and they were carrying out in the open.... but church???? Come on.... wearing a gun to church is just ridiculously rude..... but then again.... there are murders in churches these days.

Let's face it.... back in 600 CE there were no atomic bombs. There were no blunderbuss. There were no Smith and Wesson. There were no six shooters or rifles.

Back in the days when these verses were penned..... they were hunting with bows and arrows. They were dressing their kills with knives. They were just getting bronze. They wore a dagger on their hips, not a gun.

So.... when they were traveling they were to eat fish..... fish is what Jesus ate....

I gotta admit.... fishing creates a peace of mind..... hunting is an active thing.... it takes a lot of work to hunt..... but fishing.... it's a waiting game.

Fishing takes patience. Hunting takes stamina. Fishing causes the human to be lulled by the relentless movement of the water.... in that never ending cycle of in and out, up and down. Fishing takes patience.

Check out verse 101.... "Do not ask about things that would trouble you if disclosed to you." God is in control.

Would you really want to know if you are going to have a fatal incident today? Wouldn't it ruin your final day?

Be patient when you are going to go to God with anything. Enjoy the ebb and flow of life in the church. Take a minute, look around.... take a breath.... and watch the ebb and flow in the church.

I have to admit.... seeing that gun on that man's hip... in church.... well it took away my peace.

☕