Quran 4:60. Have you not observed those who claim that they believe in what was revealed to you, and in what was revealed before you, yet they seek Satanic sources for legislation, in spite of being commanded to reject them? Satan means to mislead them far away.
61. And when it is said to them, “Come to what God has revealed, and to the Messenger,” you see the hypocrites shunning you completely.
62. How about when a disaster strikes them because what their hands have put forward, and then they come to you swearing by God: “We only intended goodwill and reconciliation”?
63. They are those whom God knows what is in their hearts. So ignore them, and admonish them, and say to them concerning themselves penetrating words.
64. We did not send any messenger except to be obeyed by God’s leave. Had they, when they wronged themselves, come to you, and prayed for God's forgiveness, and the Messenger had prayed for their forgiveness, they would have found God Relenting and Merciful.
65. But no, by your Lord, they will not believe until they call you to arbitrate in their disputes, and then find within themselves no resentment regarding your decisions, and submit themselves completely.
66. Had We decreed for them: “Kill yourselves,” or “Leave your homes,” they would not have done it, except for a few of them. But had they done what they were instructed to do, it would have been better for them, and a firmer confirmation.
67. And We would have given them from Our presence a rich compensation.
68. And We would have guided them on a straight path.
69. Whoever obeys God and the Messenger—these are with those whom God has blessed—among the prophets, and the sincere, and the martyrs, and the upright. Excellent are those as companions.
70. That is the grace from God. God suffices as Knower.
The commentary is pointing fingers this morning.
For ∆agh∂t see 2:256b. The people spoken of here are the hypocrites as made clear in the verse that follows. The reference here is said to be to Ka‘b, son of Ashraf, a Jew; others think it is to Ab∂ Bardah, a diviner; others consider the ∆agh∂t here to be a particular idol or idols generally, to whom disputes were taken to be decided by divination (Rz). The hypocrites inclined to idols, or the diviners who, being their leaders in devil-worship, are called devils.
Those upon whom Allåh has bestowed favours are spoken of as belonging to four classes: (1) The prophets. (2) The truthful — the original word © i d d ß q l i t e r a l l y means one who is always truthful and in the religious language one who is true in his saying and his belief, and who confirms his truth by his deed or acting (LL). (3) The faithful — the original word s ha h ß d means one who bears witness to the truth of the religion of Allåh, both by his words and deeds, and one slain in defence of his religion is included because he too gives evidence of the truth of religion by laying down his life. (4) The righteous or those who stick to the right course in all their deeds, come what may.
At any rate none can become a prophet by obeying the Prophet. If this were true, not only would all the truthful and the faithful and the righteous be prophets, because they perfectly obeyed Allåh and His Messenger, but even all those who tried to follow them would have been raised to the dignity of prophethood which is absurd on the face of it. And to talk of some people becoming prophets after the door to prophethood has been closed is sheer ignorance of the basic principles laid down by the Holy Book.
This is the verse 2:256:
Quran 2:256. There shall be no compulsion in religion; the right way has become distinct from the wrong way. Whoever renounces evil and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handle; which does not break. God is Hearing and Knowing.
I'm an old woman. I can say I believe..... but do I show it.
When you get old you start loosing your senses. I'm blind in one eye now and my ears aren't nearly as good as when I was a kid. My nose doesn't work as well either, thank goodness.... getting old is stinky business. I don't have a magically ability to pick a Christian, Jew, or Muslim out of those old people in my neighborhood. I have one neighbor who is Jewish, but I only know that because she tells everyone. She doesn't act in any particular way that points to her faith. She is a good woman.... I would have thought her to be a good Christian.
For a while, we had a few Thumpers in my community. They professed to be part of a Gospel Group who toured the Mid West singing and preaching and bringing people to the Lord. I got all excited when I heard that the leader was going to start a Bible Study. He was a real dud.... he only knew one story... and he pointed to it every weekend... and changed the meaning. He wouldn't know real Salvation if God personally smacked him in the face with it. The man was a fraud and he sang off key. It got to the point he was popping up at every neighborhood event.... when he started to sing.... he thought himself to be Elvis reincarnated..... but I had to leave... it was horrible. He claimed to be a preacher.... but he was a fraud. He moved out of the neighborhood not too long after his wife passed away. No one talks about him much.
All I've ever know.... are either Believers and Non Believers. I figured everyone either Believed in Jesus or they didn't. If they Believe in Jesus then they are a Christian and they go to church. If they don't Believe in Jesus then they are not Christian and they are doomed to hell. Well, here lately I'm beginning to see that there are others who love my Father and they don't call themselves Christians. I have become aware that when I get to Heaven.... there might be Jews and Muslims there too.
Isn't it true that my uncle's child is my cousin? Wouldn't Uncle Ishmael's sons be Uncle Isaac's nephews? Aren't we all from the same three brothers who stepped off the Ark?
My sisters haven't talked to me in years. They think I am a drug addled looser who doesn't deserve to be in their family. Truth is, they were fed a pack of lies about me.... and they believed the person feeding them the lies. No problem.... I'm not responsible for making everyone in my family love me. The family I have here on earth is not going to be all that important when I die. The family I have in God is what will be important. I hope to see my sisters when I get there.... or I hope they arrive shortly after me..... so I can give them a great big hug.
Will they be among the four favorites? Who am I to judge? After all.... I thought everyone was on one side or another....
I hope those who see me in Heaven won't say "How'd she get in here?"