Quran 7: 109-126 Oh Aaron, Aaron, Aaron!

seekeroftruth

Quran 7:109. The notables among Pharaoh’s people said,This is really a skilled magician.”
110. “He wants to evict you from your land, so what do you recommend?”
111. They said, “Put him off, and his brother, and send heralds to the cities.”
112. “And let them bring you every skillful magician.”
113. The magicians came to Pharaoh, and said, “Surely there is a reward for us, if we are the victors.”
114. He said, “Yes, and you will be among my favorites.”
115. They said, “O Moses! Either you throw, or we are the ones to throw.”
116. He said, “You throw!” And when they threw, they beguiled the eyes of the people, and intimidated them, and produced a mighty magic.
117. And We inspired Moses: “Throw your staff.” And at once, it swallowed what they were faking.
118. So the truth came to pass, and what they were producing came to nothing.
119. There they were defeated, and utterly reduced.
120. And the magicians fell to their knees.
121. They said, “We have believed in the Lord of the Worlds.”
122. “The Lord of Moses and Aaron.”
123. Pharaoh said, “Did you believe in Him before I have given you permission? This is surely a conspiracy you schemed in the city, in order to expel its people from it. You will surely know.”
124. “I will cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides; then I will crucify you all.
125. They said, “It is to our Lord that we will return.”
126. “You are taking vengeance on us only because we have believed in the signs of our Lord when they have come to us.” “Our Lord! Pour out patience upon us, and receive our souls in submission.”

There isn't a lot of commentary this morning.

Amr here carries the significance of advising or counselling. One says mur-nß meaning counsel me, advise me (LL). The words are apparently Pharaoh’s.​
Compare Exod. 7:11: “Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers”.​
Compare Exod. 7:12: “For they cast every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron’s rod swallowed up their rods”. The enchanters’ show is here spoken of as the lies they told.​
The Bible does not speak of the magicians as believing in the Divine mission of Moses when they were vanquished. On the other hand, they are shown as still opposing Moses when other signs were shown later on, though their hearts seem to have been impressed with Moses’ truth, as on one occasion they are shown as saying to Pharaoh that there was “the finger of God” in what Moses did (Ex. 8:19). Notwithstanding this conviction, they are still shown as opposing Moses and as suffering from boils like Pharaoh’s followers (Ex. 9:11). But according to Rabbinical literature, some Egyptians accompanied Moses when he departed from Egypt, which is corroborated by the Bible narrative: “And a mixed multitude went up also with them” (Exod. 12:38). “For the Egyptians, when the time fixed for Moses’ descent from the mountain had expired, came in a body, forty thousand of them, accompanied by two Egyptian magicians, Yanos and Yambros, the same who imitated Moses in producing the signs and the plagues in Egypt” (Jewish Ency.). These two magicians are also mentioned in 2 Tim. 3:8, which is a further corroboration of the truth of the statement made in the Qur’ån and of the incompleteness of the Bible narrative.
It should be further noted that the magicians could not have believed unless they had heard the arguments of Moses as to the existence of God and as to a life after death in which they now believed so staunchly that they were ready to sacrifice their very lives for their faith. It shows that Moses had explained the essential religious truths to the whole gathering before he showed the signs.
This is from the Bible.

Exodus 7: 8 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 9 “When Pharaoh says to you, ‘Perform a miracle,’ then say to Aaron, ‘Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh,’ and it will become a snake.”
10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the Lord commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. 11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: 12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs. 13 Yet Pharaoh’s heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the Lord had said.

So in both the Bible and the Quran.... Aaron's staff became a serpent that swallowed up Pharaoh's guy's staff when it became a snake.

Now let me ask.... couldn't that just be flowery talk about winning an argument? My argument is so good it eats up your argument?

Often we have called our politicians "Snake in the Grass"..... what if this is just political talk for "Our snake is badder than your snake"?

In verse 113 the magicians were negotiating their "reward". Guess Aaron's rod ate their chances of a big payday too!

Check it out Hollywood.... In the Bible.... Aaron [Moses' brother] had the staff that was thrown down to become the bad arsh serpent.

So the stories are the same. My interpretation of the story has changed a little because I know what an arsh is now.

I know how ignorant I really am. I've been reading the Bible for how long, and yesterday was the first time I saw Abraham had a third wife. What strife!

Moses didn't throw down his staff.... Aaron did! Oh Aaron, Aaron, Aaron!

☕