Quran 7:73-84 Was Lot a preacher?

seekeroftruth

Quran 7:73. And to Thamood, their brother Saleh. He said, “O my people! Worship God; you have no god other than Him. Clarification has come to you from your Lord. This she-camel of God is a sign for you. So leave her to graze on God’s earth, and do her no harm, lest a painful penalty seizes you.
74. “And remember how He made you successors after Aad, and settled you in the land. You make for yourselves mansions on its plains, and carve out dwellings in the mountains. So remember God’s benefits, and do not roam the earth corruptingly.”
75. The elite of his people, who were arrogant, said to the common people who had believed, “Do you know that Saleh is sent from his Lord?” They said, “We are believers in what he was sent with.”
76. Those who were arrogant said, “We reject what you believe in.
77. So they hamstrung the she-camel, and defied the command of their Lord, and said, “O Saleh, bring upon us what you threaten us with, if you are one of the messengers.”
78. Whereupon the quake overtook them, and they became lifeless bodies in their homes.
79. Then he turned away from them, and said, “O my people, I have delivered to you the message of my Lord, and I have advised you, but you do not like those who give advice.”
80. And Lot, when he said to his people, “Do you commit lewdness no people anywhere have ever committed before you?
81. “You lust after men rather than women. You are an excessive people.”
82. And his people's only answer was to say, “Expel them from your town; they are purist people.”
83. But We saved him and his family, except for his wife; she was of those who lagged behind.
84. And We rained down on them a rain; note the consequences for the sinners.

Here's the commentary for this morning.

Neither the Qur’ån nor any reliable saying of the Holy Prophet lends any support to the numerous legends regarding the miraculous appearance and prodigious size of the she-camel. It is called Allåh’s she-camel because it was given as a sign from Allåh. It was an ordinary she-camel, which was given as a sign to a people. Their slaying of it was a sign that they would neither accept the truth, nor cease persecuting ˝åli√ and his followers. It may be noted here that there is nothing strange that a camel should be given as a sign, when even now we can see that a roughly constructed house known as the Ka‘bah is given as a sign to the whole world, so that whoever tries to destroy it will perish.
In his Essays on the Life of Mu√ammad, Sir Syed A√mad Khån says: “They excavated various rocks, and after having hewn and carved them, took up their abode therein. These rocks are to this very day known by the name of Athålib. Almost every Arab, as well as several foreigners who have travelled in Arabia, can bear testimony to the existence of these rock habitations, which stand there at once to satisfy curiosity and to afford information respecting the nations who made them. These habitations likewise corroborate and bear testimony to the truth of that portion of the history of the Tham∂d tribe which is mentioned in the Holy Qur’ån.”
The punishment which overtook Tham∂d is described under different names. Here it is called rajfah, which means earthquake. The description of their abodes in 27:52 as fallen down also shows that they were destroyed by an earthquake. In 54:31 the same punishment is referred to as ©ai√ah, i.e. a cry or a shout, and it evidently refers to the rumbling noise which precedes an earthquake. In 51:44 and elsewhere it is spoken of as ©å’iqah, which means any destructive punishment (LL), carrying sometimes the same significance as ©ai√ah. In 69:5, Tham∂d is said to have been destroyed by means of ∆åghiyah, which means an excessively severe punishment. Both of these descriptions are applicable to an earthquake.
The question whether Lot was a prophet is answered in the affirmative by Sale, but Wherry denies it.
If Gen. 19:30–38 is a faithful record, Lot cannot take his place even among the righteous; whereas, his being saved in the destruction of Sodom is clear proof of his righteousness, when read along with Gen. 18:23. Sale has, however, produced the additional testimony of the apostle Peter, who says: “And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked (for that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds)” (2 Pet. 2:7, 8). His vexing his soul with the wickedness of the people of Sodom can only be true if he was a preacher of righteousness among those people. And again, why should Lot have gone, being a just man, to settle among a wicked people, had he not been charged with the duty of reforming them?​

In these verses.... they claim that Lot had to be a preacher to be in Sodom. However, they claim Lot was not just a preacher.... he was a "reformed" preacher.

The verses in Genesis 19:30-38 are from after the destruction of Sodom. Lot's family ran when the destruction started.... guided, according to the Bible, by an angel. Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt when she took the time to look back, so the destruction was right on their heels. The verses in Genesis 19:30-38 were about how his daughters were sure they were the only people on earth, and it was their duty to replenish the population.... so they drugged Lot and slept with him.

The verses in Genesis 18:23 is about when God agreed to bring Lot out of Sodom before the destruction.

The point, I think, is that Lot could not have been the only great goody two shoes in the town of Sodom. Even his daughters were a tad bit warped.

I knew a guy who claimed to be a preacher but he owned and operated a gay bar on a side street off of the Baltimore Block. There was nothing righteous about that man. He was a rapist and a liar.... but he claimed to be a preacher. He claimed to worry about the souls of the men who were drawn to his bar. Maybe that's what the Quran is saying.... maybe Lot was like that horrible man.

Good men fall into bad places and change. These verses warn us that the good guy Lot wasn't such a perfect Bible character. If you pop a pig in the pen... they are bound to get slop on them.

So.... Was Lot a preacher? Was Lot a good preacher who worked in a very hard town or was Lot a good preacher who could speak the lingo because he was like them and changed?

I think, if he was a preacher.... he had to be a good preacher.... because otherwise, God wouldn't have pulled him out of Sodom if he weren't. It is possible that Lot was so dedicated to at least "trying" to be a good man for God that he never quite joined in any of the events. Even his daughters had to use desperate means [drugs] to include him in their plan.

So... here's the question..... Was Lot a preacher?

☕

I just found out yesterday.... I have two nieces who are pregnant! One of them is having twins! Please pray for Nicole and Sarah and their babies! Yay!!

My sister would be so proud. My brother must be busting his buttons!

TIA for your prayers!