Rabid Raccoon in 7D

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I didn't know where I should post this, so I'll drop it here. I was headed out this morning when I heard an unusual tread in the woods. I have a colony of squirrels and occasionally a deer or two, but this didn't sound like tree rats or deer do, so it caught my attention. I spotted a 'coon in the edge of the woods. He would take a step and fall over, get up and repeat. The rabid 'coon went to be with the Lord. My question is, what to do with the remains. I can't afford a big funeral, so how do you dispose of a rabid animal? There's a small clearing in my woods where I offer up fish cleanings to the buzzard gods. Will buzzards eat rabid 'coon carcasses? TIA.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I didn't know where I should post this, so I'll drop it here. I was headed out this morning when I heard an unusual tread in the woods. I have a colony of squirrels and occasionally a deer or two, but this didn't sound like tree rats or deer do, so it caught my attention. I spotted a 'coon in the edge of the woods. He would take a step and fall over, get up and repeat. The rabid 'coon went to be with the Lord. My question is, what to do with the remains. I can't afford a big funeral, so how do you dispose of a rabid animal? There's a small clearing in my woods where I offer up fish cleanings to the buzzard gods. Will buzzards eat rabid 'coon carcasses? TIA.
Call animal control and DNR. Let them deal with it as you really don't want to be near it.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Call animal control and DNR. Let them deal with it as you really don't want to be near it.
Thank you Ken. Their website says they're only available Monday-Friday. I suppose he'll have to stew until tomorrow. Sometimes living in to woods has it's drawbacks. :ohwell:

GregV814

Rabid raccoon. Wasn't that a Beatles song?
Many people dont know this but in the fall of '68, Paul, ( tired of being the Walrus, depressed with Tourette's syndrome ) decided to write children's books about nature and step away from the Fab Four. Not giddy teenagers anymore, the men grew apart. Look, Eric Clapton had stolen George Harrisons wife, Ringo was painting boat hulls and John, well, he and Yoko wrote a sit - com much like The Monkee's , the unofficial American Beatles.

Paul's books, "The Rancid Rat, ", "German Sheperds of Auschwitz" and "Dead Rooster" failed miserably. Rabid Racoon was re-written as an ad campaign to reduce infestation of London...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I would still call animal control - 301.475.8018, no response call the Sheriff non-emergency number 301.475.8008. Health Department says to report it.
I'll do this tomorrow. Thanks once more. I couldn't find anything specific on either website. And I couldn't really find any reason to bother anyone on Sunday. I'll be around tomorrow and there aren't any pets running free in the neighborhood to bother the carcass. We've got squirrels and occasionally a stray deer or turkey. I wonder if an opossum would bother it...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Many people dont know this but in the fall of '68, Paul, ( tired of being the Walrus, depressed with Tourette's syndrome ) decided to write children's books about nature and step away from the Fab Four. Not giddy teenagers anymore, the men grew apart. Look, Eric Clapton had stolen George Harrisons wife, Ringo was painting boat hulls and John, well, he and Yoko wrote a sit - com much like The Monkee's , the unofficial American Beatles.

Paul's books, "The Rancid Rat, ", "German Sheperds of Auschwitz" and "Dead Rooster" failed miserably. Rabid Racoon was re-written as an ad campaign to reduce infestation of London...
:jameo:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Glad it died before it may have gotten closer to your house.
He had just a teensy bit of help from my Mossberg...
I would still call animal control - 301.475.8018, no response call the Sheriff non-emergency number 301.475.8008. Health Department says to report it.
Called Animal Control and left a message. If I don't hear back from them by lunchtime I'll give the Control Center a call.

Edit: The Health Department only picks up and tests animals that have been in contact with humans and I'll assume pets.

Animal Control doesn't want to be bothered. In other words, I'll get my pitchfork and take Rocky out to the alter of the buzzard gods and offer him up as a sacrifice.

Last edited: