Racehorses bred for death?.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"As we explore the limits of physical performance, sports trend toward the more extreme, even if it harms rather than enhances the athlete's health. Steroids in baseball, eating disorders in prepubescent gymnasts, whatever it takes to win, until there's a public pushback that threatens the sport. Without industry reform in the near future, it's easy to imagine such a pushback against the biggest athlete of all -- the racehorse.

Saturday's Kentucky Derby showcased the spectacular win of a potential Triple Crown winner, Big Brown, and the fatal ankle injuries of Eight Belles, coming just a year after Barbaro was euthanized from injuries suffered in the 2006 Preakness. These three horses -- along with all the contenders in this year's Derby and an estimated 75% of U.S. thoroughbreds -- have a common ancestor, Native Dancer."

Racehorses bred for death? - Los Angeles Times

covekat

Of course genetics can play a part, but it is not the sole reason for these horses breaking down...there are plenty of TB's with ND in their pedigree that remain sound.

I agree that people are breeding for speed, and some are not paying attention to a stallions faults, or a mares.

My experience from attending top TB sales in the country, is that the top buyers are looking for quality, and horses with the best conformation along with pedigree to buy.

Racing is dangerous sport, always has been, and breakdowns are nothing new...televised breakdowns and internet access to video is fairly new.

Believe me, anyone involved in the sport knows that it's detrimental to our sport to have these catastrophic breakdowns, and we also look for answers so that we can avoid these as much as possible.

A little off topic, but worth watching.

Yahoo!

FrmGrl

Get some!
"As we explore the limits of physical performance, sports trend toward the more extreme, even if it harms rather than enhances the athlete's health. Steroids in baseball, eating disorders in prepubescent gymnasts, whatever it takes to win, until there's a public pushback that threatens the sport. Without industry reform in the near future, it's easy to imagine such a pushback against the biggest athlete of all -- the racehorse.

Saturday's Kentucky Derby showcased the spectacular win of a potential Triple Crown winner, Big Brown, and the fatal ankle injuries of Eight Belles, coming just a year after Barbaro was euthanized from injuries suffered in the 2006 Preakness. These three horses -- along with all the contenders in this year's Derby and an estimated 75% of U.S. thoroughbreds -- have a common ancestor, Native Dancer."

Racehorses bred for death? - Los Angeles Times

Interesting article. My mare,an OTTB has Native Dancer in her lines. Thankfully she survived her days at the track and she is happy and healthy.