Racism in DoD? Proof.

OccamsRazor

He's also on record as saying other stuff about race I'm not totally cool with.
Just because he's a well liked black man doesn't make his opinion the last word.

When we all agree, that we ought to treat race no different OR more OR less special than say, left-handedness or what denomination of Christianity you follow (differences that at one time were a BIG DEAL to people) - THEN we're past racism. It's as ok to think about it or look at it as we would the others - I'm a lefty, for example, and too often I'd come across things like a school desk, a pencil sharpener, an ice cream scoop - CLEARLY designed for a rightie - we just acknowledge it and move on.
Racism is ALWAYS going to be inherent. Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. There is no easy "cure" for it. But certainly, being in the limelight 150% of the time isn't going to make it better.

Hijinx

You know, come to think of it - he not only did not, but at least until college, he was almost entirely raised in a white or otherwise non-black environment - unless you consider Indonesians or Pacific Islanders/Hawaiians as "black
People of mixed blood are a race unto themselves. It's a burden they carry that was placed on them by their parents.
They are more easily accepted by blacks so most of them identify as black.
There are other races involved such as Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and Native-Americans.
The problem appears to be much harder for Negro's and Native-Americans than for others.

SamSpade

Racism is ALWAYS going to be inherent. Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. There is no easy "cure" for it. But certainly, being in the limelight 150% of the time isn't going to make it better.
I think there can be a day when it just isn't that important. Remember that scene, in "The Untouchables", where Sean Connery asks George Stone (BTW - an actual Untouchable whose Italian name was in fact, Giuseppe Petri) what his name was before he changed it?

Malone: Stone. George Stone. That's your name? What's your real name?
George Stone: That is my real name.
Malone: Nah. What was it before you changed it?
George Stone: Giuseppe Petri.
Malone: Ah, I knew it. That's all you need, one thieving wop on the team.
George Stone: Hey, what's that you say?
Malone: I said that you're a lying member of a no good race.
George Stone: [He cuffs Stone across the face. As he draws back his arm again, Stone presses a gun under his chin] Much better than you, you stinking Irish crap pig.
Malone: Oh, I like him.
Ness: [Ness looking a bit nervous and Malone smiling at Stone] Yeah I like him too.

I love this scene - but that kind of ethnic hatred was COMPLETELY COMMON. And it extended to religions, ethinicity and so forth. We don't have it - much - in America, but in some parts of the world, there's CLASS hatred - which is more or less the same as wealth and poverty.

It's my feeling that at least, here, in the United States, no one gives a rat's ass if you're Italian or Irish or a lot of ethnicities.

I do think and hope that race can be that way, too.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
People of mixed blood are a race unto themselves. It's a burden they carry that was placed on them by their parents.
They are more easily accepted by blacks so most of them identify as black.
There are other races involved such as Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and Native-Americans.
The problem appears to be much harder for Negro's and Native-Americans than for others.
You read the same theme in a lot of interviews with famous mixed race people. They talk about being made fun of because of their background as children. But it they cared to notice, all the kids got picked on for some sort of physical attribute. ALL OF THEM. Height, weight, hair color, glasses wearing, acne, clothing style, etc. It was all fair game to kids in schools towards classmates.

Even a lot of adults claim bad things happened to them because they are black or biracial. Hate to tell you but it happens to all of us. Lousy service in a restaurant, cashier making the wrong change at the register, cars not letting you merge on the highway, the doctor's office not having a convenient appointment time. We all experience these same things.

But when you look at everything through a racial lens, it's all bigotry & racism, 24/7. "I got rained on today because I'm black". Yep, it just rained on you. The rest of us showed up to work bone dry.

Hijinx

You are not wrong, and your argument holds water, but you do not have the additional burden of not knowing what to identify as.

OccamsRazor

It's my feeling that at least, here, in the United States, no one gives a rat's ass if you're Italian or Irish or a lot of ethnicities.

I do think and hope that race can be that way, too.
I agree with you 100%. And as said many, many times before. If some of these people don't like it, they should experience some real racism, hatred, etc. by living abroad for a few years. Let them experience what REAL hatred is.

SamSpade

I agree with you 100%. And as said many, many times before. If some of these people don't like it, they should experience some real racism, hatred, etc. by living abroad for a few years. Let them experience what REAL hatred is.
Yep. Outside of Western Europe, U.S. and Canada - being racist isn't even a thing - as in, people behave that way rather openly, and society doesn't frown on it. When we were Russia, black couples were told NOT to go out at all in the evening, because people will beat them up and cops might even contribute. When I was there, I was astonished at how openly bigoted they could be against other ethniciities - even in the literature, children were sometimes described as this or that ethnic background as though it was a detriment or disability, like being blind or lame.

And I could go on - you think redneck bigots here in the U.S. hate Muslims? Go to a Muslim nation and find out how some of them feel about YOU. Don't bother asking for help - you won't get any.

I only mention Western civilizations because - as a society, it is generally frowned on. But racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, sexist bigotry - you don't have to look far to see it.