Racism

This_person

Link? Would be better to have it.

If you'd like the actual quote:
Susan Rice said:
I’m privileged to work with brilliant and dedicated professionals across our government. But we must acknowledge that our national security agencies have not yet drawn fully on the strengths of our great nation. Minorities still make up less than 20 percent of our senior diplomats. Less than 15 percent of senior military officers and senior intelligence officials. Too often, our national security workforce has been what former Florida Senator Bob Graham called “white, male, and Yale.” In the halls of power, in the faces of our national security leaders, America is still not fully reflected.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's a bit different than white/male. Adding in Yale adds a lot of other white guys. I accuse you of SHW, selective headline writing! :buddies:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Yep,,, the last time I was in the Social Security Office in Camp Springs other than the rent a cop I was the only other white guy in the building, and that includes the Government workers.

DC VA hosp looks to be about 80% non white staff. Like Rice-a-roni said, not fully reflective of America.

black dog

Free America
DC VA hosp looks to be about 80% non white staff. Like Rice-a-roni said, not fully reflective of America.

The Marion, Indiana VA hospital is just the opposite. Up till 2 years ago I would take one of my great uncles to the VA in Memphis a few times a year, it was like DC if not more. I will add that it is a very nice hospital and he received excellent service there.
If we went to see two doctors with appointments, they would work us in to see other doctors for issues that would come up while we were there. Such as new glasses, hearing aids, battery's, a heart check with new medication, short arm :yikes: and so on.

This_person

That's a bit different than white/male. Adding in Yale adds a lot of other white guys. I accuse you of SHW, selective headline writing! :buddies:

Kinda think "white, male, and Yale" stands on its own, but "America is not fully reflected" sort of adds to it, too.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Kinda think "white, male, and Yale" stands on its own, but "America is not fully reflected" sort of adds to it, too.

No. White, male and Yale, she had a point and it's not to say 'white, male and UC Santa Barbara' I' no fan of Rice's but this sort of thing shouldn't be a big deal. YOU and ME, we all, suffer from the myopia that IS white AND make AND Yale.

This_person

No. White, male and Yale, she had a point and it's not to say 'white, male and UC Santa Barbara' I' no fan of Rice's but this sort of thing shouldn't be a big deal. YOU and ME, we all, suffer from the myopia that IS white AND make AND Yale.

No, sir, I do not think I do. I work with and for white, black, yellow, and red. Male and female. To suggest that the proportion "should" be something is myopic. There are very few male nurses (not none, very few) compared with the proportion of males in the general population. There are very few female dock workers. That's ok. Male nurses would not add to the field any more than female dock workers if they are not inclined, interested, and physically and emotionally suited for the positions. Do you think there is even a bit of difference in thought-process between Chelsea Clinton and Sasha Obama, outside of age? How about Sasha and Jakeita Days? Jakeita Days and Kat Von D? I think Chelsea and Sasha would have no idea who Jakeita and Kat are, but Jakeita and Kat probably have a lot more in common that Kat and Chelsea.

This is all true for men, too. I don't give one flying #### what someone's color is, or even (most of the time) sex. I think they need to have the right thought processes, and I DO think there is value in diversity of thought. You're not going to get that if you have Chelsea and Sasha, but you will with Chelsea and Kat, or Jakeita and Sasha. Color is meaningless.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

It doesn't bother you, of all people, that folks from the same backgrounds keep ending up in the same positions of power? Does it bother you that Sec Treas is what you do after working for Goldman, that's it's basically a retirement gift from the company, to itself?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No, sir, I do not think I do. I work with and for white, black, yellow, and red. Male and female. To suggest that the proportion "should" be something is myopic. .

No it's not. It's biology. Biodiversity is a good and healthy thing. I'm not advocating for someone simply based on their gender or skin color but I am saying that if you keep harvesting the same crop from the same field with the same practices, the yield declines, inexorably, until the yield is bad.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually it reads like you ARE saying just that.

If it doesn't look right, we need to colorize.

This is pretty simple. Do you think it serves US national interests if the same type of people with the same backgrounds and same schooling, same SCHOOL, are in charge of policy, year after year after year?

Wishbone

This is pretty simple. Do you think it serves US national interests if the same type of people with the same backgrounds and same schooling, same SCHOOL, are in charge of policy, year after year after year?

Probably not, but ethnicity is not a valid criteria.

This_person

No it's not. It's biology. Biodiversity is a good and healthy thing. I'm not advocating for someone simply based on their gender or skin color but I am saying that if you keep harvesting the same crop from the same field with the same practices, the yield declines, inexorably, until the yield is bad.

Then we're saying the same thing - which is very different from what Rice said. Rice was concerned with race and gender (white, male), and you and I are concerned with diversity of thought.