Racist Bicycle Helmet Enforcement

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

An analysis of 1,667 helmet citations issued between 2003 and 2020 in Seattle found that Black cyclists received helmet infractions at a rate nearly four times higher than white cyclists. Native American/Alaska Native cyclists were cited at a rate more than two times higher than white riders.

Asian/Pacific Islander cyclists, however, receive infractions at rates 10 times lower than white cyclists. Municipal Court records do not distinguish between white and Latino/Hispanic individuals.

University of Washington doctoral student Ethan C. Campbell conducted the infractions analysis for Central Seattle Greenways, a branch of the street safety group Seattle Neighborhood Greenways. After this summer’s protests for racial justice, he and about 30 other people began meeting monthly to discuss ways to make the transportation system work better for people of color.

Reviewing the helmet law could offer “a valuable opportunity to both address the issue of the law’s deeply inequitable enforcement and refocus the goal on a broader definition of cyclist safety that does not involve police,” he said.

Next they will be bitching BPOC's are dying in larger numbers from accidents on bikes

DaSDGuy

So, did they break the law in disproportionate numbers? Then the enforcement wasnt........ I note the studies didnt go that far......
Careful there. Even implying that the laws were broken in disproportionate numbers will get you accused of being a racist.
Welcome to "Woke World"

glhs837

Power with Control
Careful there. Even implying that the laws were broken in disproportionate numbers will get you accused of being a racist.
Welcome to "Woke World"

Iknowright...... We saw this with the school discipline issue also.

SamSpade

So, did they break the law in disproportionate numbers? Then the enforcement wasnt........ I note the studies didnt go that far......
You know, it took me all of about half a second to see that.
Are people supposed to believe that crime is always committed proportional to the population's demographics?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OMG! This is brilliant! Is there a study by any chance that says Black people are disproportionately cited for mask violations? Or turned away from businesses for not wearing a mask, or for visiting their grandchildren, or violating some other lockdown edict?

Maybe we can get all these crazy laws and proclamations repealed.

PeoplesElbow

From my experience of riding and driving around southern md I cant say I've ever seen a POC wearing a helmet.

DaSDGuy

From my experience of riding and driving around southern md I cant say I've ever seen a POC wearing a helmet.
I have yet to see a group of 10-15 non-POC riding the wrong direction on Great Mills Road. If I did I would expect citations to be issued to them too.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I like wearing the helmet. I drop the dark visor which covers most of my face. The pretty young thangs swoon over my ride and aren't immediately repulsed by the aged old man.

Well, in my mind anyway.

DaSDGuy

I'd be there with you except the morons (usually on crotch rockets) most likely to have an accident end up being paid for by my taxes.
And raised insurance rates. Make them 100% accountable with no medical insurance coverage then it's OK - don't' wear a helmet. Say hello to Darwin for us.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh, I didnt say I wouldnt wear one, I always do, and always will. Like a seatbelt, I just think you should be free to choose, but you should also be responsible.

rmorse

Like I said, society shouldn't pay for people being stupid.

But we do, every day. We pay for people hiking who have no idea how bad the trail is and get stranded and have to be rescued. We pay for people out kayaking who didn’t check the weather and get swept out to sea. We pay for people who have super sized McDonalds every day and who become morbidly obese. We pay for people who smoke cigarettes and get lung cancer. We pay for people who drink soda every day and become diabetic.

It’s part of being in a society.