Rails to Trails

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I think this has something to do with horses, so I'll ask here. What is it? I see houses in my area with signs up protesting Rails to Trails.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bustem' Down said:
I think this has something to do with horses, so I'll ask here. What is it? I see houses in my area with signs up protesting Rails to Trails.
Huge program in PA.. they were trying to make hiking and biking trails from Eerie to Scranton. Where I lived I had over 20 miles of trails at the bottom of the hill I live on, shadowing the Allegheny RIver.. BEAUTIFUL bike rides.. over railroad trellis's.. through old tunnels, along aold estates..

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
itsbob said:
Huge program in PA.. they were trying to make hiking and biking trails from Eerie to Scranton. Where I lived I had over 20 miles of trails at the bottom of the hill I live on, shadowing the Allegheny RIver.. BEAUTIFUL bike rides.. over railroad trellis's.. through old tunnels, along aold estates..
WHY would someone protest that? :confused:

K

Katie

They have a good amount of converted trails on Cape Cod, MA that are nice biking trails. They have volunteers ride their bikes along the trails to make sure there are no issues.

ohstate

Probably a nimby issue. Right now they have no trains on the tracks and no one using them. Once the rails are converted to trails, you have strangers practically in your backyard hiking, biking and doing who knows what else. Maybe they don't want the noise, trash and potential for crime that could come from making unused space into public space.

Or, I could be wrong. It's just a guess.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
happyappygirl said:
WHY would someone protest that? :confused:
From what I understand from PA, when the RR abandoned the lines and pulled up the rails, property owners kind of assumed the property as their own, made it part of their yards.. For rails to trails to work the state takes ownership of the RIght of Way back from the property owners, and puts the trail right through their back yard.

Property owners that used to abut the rail are also concerned less desirables on the bike trails having access to their property and homes.

We had one section that ran right through downtown Oil City, and they had to put the trail up on the street.. the old rails were down on the water and the property owners that owned the water front property would have had the bike trail wedged in between their homes and the water.

Midnightrider

itsbob said:
From what I understand from PA, when the RR abandoned the lines and pulled up the rails, property owners kind of assumed the property as their own, made it part of their yards.. For rails to trails to work the state takes ownership of the RIght of Way back from the property owners, and puts the trail right through their back yard.
thats probably it, i remember reading about the one in upper st marys a while back and people were biatchin that it would go through their backyards and such.....

i guess they dont realize its not their land

PrepH4U

Midnightrider said:
thats probably it, i remember reading about the one in upper st marys a while back and people were biatchin that it would go through their backyards and such.....

i guess they dont realize its not their land
From what I understand it is not thier land and some may be protesting because of the backyards and such. But I thought this had been put on hold as they were researching putting a commuter line there. :shrug:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Easy solution to undesirables enterring your backyard...a fence. Do people honestly think there aren't hobos and other transients riding illegally on the rails?

There are tons of trails out there with people on them. Like the C&O Canal and Towpath, B&A Trail. Also, most rivers also run along people's property. I know when I go kayaking, especially down some of the smaller runs, like Big Gunpowder Falls, you're RIGHT in some people's yards. Not to mention....roads. Anyone and their mother can stroll right down your road.

People think my yard is a public place because I've got horses, so they walk themselves right up and reach through thru the fence.

I know that wasn't your question and I'm sorry for going off on a tangent. I'm all for more trails for pedestrians, equestrians, cyclists etc.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
PrepH4U said:
From what I understand it is not thier land and some may be protesting because of the backyards and such. But I thought this had been put on hold as they were researching putting a commuter line there. :shrug:
In some places when the RR abandoned a rail line they put the land and the right of way up for sale. A lot of homeowner jumped at the chance because it was a great deal for them.

Now some of these homeowners have kept ownership, but deeded over the rights for Rails to Trails to use, some are jerks and won't do anything to help a good cause. Where the trails do go through populated areas I haven't heard of any increase in crime, break-ins or otherwise.

In Oil City it was a single homeowner that prevented the trail from following the river through the town. Now you have to leave the trail, come up into traffic onto the main road, ride through town, then go back down to the river and meet the trail again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If one ran through my backyard, I'd be setting up drink machines in my yard.. or a stand that sells cold drinks and icecream.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Bustem' Down said:
I see houses in my area with signs up protesting Rails to Trails.
St Mary's or Charles County? They have been working on the trail from Hughesville to Lexington Park for about 5 years now. So far you can go from Hughesville to Laurel Grove Park and maybe even further at this time. I heard there was going to be a rails to trails in Charles County but I have not heard any of the details.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
itsbob said:

They have it going through WV also. I tried to purchase a farm about 15 min away from the rails but it fell through!! :bawl: