Rain rot in winter

netherfield

Any suggestions about how to treat a horse who has a serious case of rain rot when the weather is cold? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Sparks

Any suggestions about how to treat a horse who has a serious case of rain rot when the weather is cold? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Shapely's MTG works really well on skin problems. Wear rubber gloves to apply, it smells terrible and it's hard to get the smell off of your hands.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
When I first got my ottb mare 15+ years ago, she had a raging case. Ironically a local farrier, (I think it was a guy named Jake or someother) said to use Captan.. an antifungal for plants. It's a powder and all I did was sprinkle it on her coat and rub it in the scabs and surrounding areas real good. It was clearing up withing two weeks. That was a while ago, I purchased the stuff at Bowens in Annap. It may be under a dif name by now.

netherfield

When I first got my ottb mare 15+ years ago, she had a raging case. Ironically a local farrier, (I think it was a guy named Jake or someother) said to use Captan.. an antifungal for plants. It's a powder and all I did was sprinkle it on her coat and rub it in the scabs and surrounding areas real good. It was clearing up withing two weeks. That was a while ago, I purchased the stuff at Bowens in Annap. It may be under a dif name by now.
I did a google search on it. I can get it but I'm hesitant to use something not meant for horses without vet approval. Did you apply it every day and did you brush or pick the scabs? I too have a raging case (new horse.)

devinej

yes mtg can go straight on without rinsing, then apply again without rinsing =- that's what the directions say. i like that stuff, but also there's "fung-a-way" and microteck also has an antifungal spray, i think canterlope carries it and i know elam has all of those. good luck!

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I did a google search on it. I can get it but I'm hesitant to use something not meant for horses without vet approval. Did you apply it every day and did you brush or pick the scabs? I too have a raging case (new horse.)

I aplied it everyday and picked the scabs. It worked wonders. There was no adverse reaction from my horse. I swear by it.

morganhorse

More info:

Many cases of rain rot are bacterial and not fungal. A couple of shots of Pennicilin helps many of them and can't hurt any of them.

It is TOTALLY brought on by a VITAMIN A DEFFICIENCY. You see it in horses that have poor nutrition available and do not have green grass to supply the Vitamin A they need. Grass hay that is more than 3 or 4 months old also has no Vitamin A in it. So, these horses can be fat have have terrible hair coats, eyes and skin. Horses with an adequate diet that includes around 100,000 units of Vitamin A per day will not get rain rot, no matter what the weather conditions are. The fall is when you start seeing the most of it because the Vitamin A they store in their liver through the summer is running out.

You also see crusty or runny eyes from a Vitamin A deficiency. Again, they are most prevelant this time of year on through the late spring.

You can treat it with eeverything in the book and it will take about a month to lose all of the scabs and start regrowing hair. And if you do not address the Vitamin A defficiency, they still will not have a nice smooth hair coat and will just get it again.

If a horse has an acute deficiancy in vitamin A, you can 'jump start' them by giving them an injectable Vitamin A orally. You just take a bottle of Vitamin A injectable and squirt 3 or 4 cc into a horse's mouth with a syringe that does not have a needle on it. You can do this once a week.

You can get Vitamin A injectable at any feed store that handles livestock and cattle feeds. It is not ladeled for horses to inject because some horses can get huge swelling at the injection site. But, there are no side effects to using it orrally.

devinej

More info:

Many cases of rain rot are bacterial and not fungal. A couple of shots of Pennicilin helps many of them and can't hurt any of them.

It is TOTALLY brought on by a VITAMIN A DEFFICIENCY. You see it in horses that have poor nutrition available and do not have green grass to supply the Vitamin A they need. Grass hay that is more than 3 or 4 months old also has no Vitamin A in it. So, these horses can be fat have have terrible hair coats, eyes and skin. Horses with an adequate diet that includes around 100,000 units of Vitamin A per day will not get rain rot, no matter what the weather conditions are. The fall is when you start seeing the most of it because the Vitamin A they store in their liver through the summer is running out.

You also see crusty or runny eyes from a Vitamin A deficiency. Again, they are most prevelant this time of year on through the late spring.

You can treat it with eeverything in the book and it will take about a month to lose all of the scabs and start regrowing hair. And if you do not address the Vitamin A defficiency, they still will not have a nice smooth hair coat and will just get it again.

If a horse has an acute deficiancy in vitamin A, you can 'jump start' them by giving them an injectable Vitamin A orally. You just take a bottle of Vitamin A injectable and squirt 3 or 4 cc into a horse's mouth with a syringe that does not have a needle on it. You can do this once a week.

You can get Vitamin A injectable at any feed store that handles livestock and cattle feeds. It is not ladeled for horses to inject because some horses can get huge swelling at the injection site. But, there are no side effects to using it orrally.

that is very interesting to hear. i'm just wondering where you got the info, i'd like to read more!

natbugs

MTG is Mane Tail Groom..it is sulfur based...hence the smell....but it works on and fungial issue as well as hot spots on dogs ect....it is a good thing to keep around the barn for many uses.usually runs $12.00 a bottle.no rinsing needed.great for horses that like to rub their tails too !!

DQ2B

Yes, I believe it's the same product. We've always used if for skin problems, not mane or tail tanlges. :whistle:

Trust me, it really works. :lmao:

I second MTG but you don't need to put it on every day, it's really greasy.

Fancy3

I heard that putting baby oil on the spots loosens the scabs, then you should be able to brush them off? Havent tried myself, but that is what I was told.

arabianpony

or....

I heard that putting baby oil on the spots loosens the scabs, then you should be able to brush them off? Havent tried myself, but that is what I was told.

I always use listerine, mix in a bottle with alittle baby oil, shake REALLY well and rub it in good. The oil loosens the scabs and keeps the listerine on longer. And they smell good if you use the minty stuff:)

netherfield

Thank you all for your great input. This mare was apparently deprived of a good diet so I'm guessing the major problem is bacterial and not fungal as devinej described. I'm going to combine daily grooming with perhaps either MTG or baby oil and see how she goes. Hard to understand how a sweet mare like this can be left to "rot." Grrrrrr.