Rand Paul blocks 9/11 Victim's Compensation Fund approval

Chris0nllyn

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) tried to win the Senate's consent to approve the House-passed bill, which would reauthorize funding until fiscal 2090. The bill cleared the House in a 402-12 vote last week.
"It has long been my feeling that we need to address our massive debt in the country," he said. "And therefore any new spending … should be offset by cutting spending that's less valuable. We need to, at the very least, have this debate."
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/453519-rand-paul-blocks-senate-vote-on-9-11-victim-compensation-fund

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bullshit title.. he did no such thing.

Unlike CA it's usually a good idea to identify where funds are coming from BEFORE you spend them

Chris0nllyn

Yes, he (and Mike Lee) did.

Gillibrand tried passing it with unanimous consent. That's a fast-track process that doesn't require everyone to vote. If any Senator objects (as Paul did), the bill was not approved.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yes, he (and Mike Lee) did.

Gillibrand tried passing it with unanimous consent. That's a fast-track process that doesn't require everyone to vote. If any Senator objects (as Paul did), the bill was not approved.
so you think it's OK to spend money before knowing where it's coming from??

And just 24 hours later the entire Senate has discussed, identified the funds, and will be voted on and passed.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
One of the those occasions where I find myself agreeing with Mr. Amash.

Why I try to encourage folks to read this (or books like it):
Amazon product

--- End of line (MCP)

transporter

Unlike CA it's usually a good idea to identify where funds are coming from BEFORE you spend them

Umm..yes he did....

And...THIS is the issue you are going to go "deficit hawk" on??? Really? WTF is wrong with you???

Here is the CBO budget impact estimate: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/55435

Over 10 years it will add about $10 billion in debt. Over its 8 year life span, the tax cuts from last year are estimated to add $2 TRILLION to the debt.

Grumpy

Over 10 years it will add about $10 billion in debt. Over its 8 year life span, the tax cuts from last year are estimated to add $2 TRILLION to the debt.

Cool, then that blows the 10 billion they said Obamacare would save us. <--that was sarcasm...The CBO is trash no matter who's side they are on.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Umm..yes he did....

And...THIS is the issue you are going to go "deficit hawk" on??? Really? WTF is wrong with you???

Here is the CBO budget impact estimate: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/55435

Want to explain how tax cuts add to the debt? I'll help you.. me keeping more of my money does NOT add to the debt. It's impossible.

SPENDING adds to the debt (like the victims fund).. and I'm not against the victims fund.. but like Rand I'd want to know how it works.. who holds the purse strings.. who determines who gets paid and how much..

You know the little details beyond acting emotionally because some celebrity cried on TV.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How does the CBO "score" the amount on impact when the Act says:

"(a) Authorization and funding.—Section 410 of the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act (49 U.S.C. 40101 note) is amended—

(1) in subsection (c), by striking “$4,600,000,000” and all that follows through “expended” and inserting “such sums as may be necessary for fiscal year 2019 and each fiscal year thereafter through fiscal year 2092, to remain available until expended”; and

(2) in subsection (e), by striking “Upon completion of all payments under this title” and inserting “On October 1, 2092, or at such time thereafter as all funds are expended”."