Rant: this story on discipline to wrongdoers in schools

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/educa...between-and-within-races/ar-BBgD349?ocid=iehp

This came up in my headlines today and just rubs me the wrong way.

Both student's got caught doing something wrong. Parent A paid the fine and life moves on. Parent B couldn't pay the fine and there were charges files. Hello...it has nothing to do with race. It is because Parent A did what the school requested. Parent B could have found the WHOLE 100.00 and it would have been gone.

Another person talked about in the story HIT another student with a book and was expelled from school. The grandmother is saying RACE made them expel her. NO the face she HIT a student with a book and is lucky that charges weren't filed by the other kids parents. My parent's would have blown a gasket and filed charges in court. YOU can't hit people and not expect something to happen. What the heck. Is it getting so bad that people are going to be afraid to discipline a child in school that completely does something wrong in fear that the race card will be pulled.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/educa...between-and-within-races/ar-BBgD349?ocid=iehp

This came up in my headlines today and just rubs me the wrong way.

Both student's got caught doing something wrong. Parent A paid the fine and life moves on. Parent B couldn't pay the fine and there were charges files. Hello...it has nothing to do with race. It is because Parent A did what the school requested. Parent B could have found the WHOLE 100.00 and it would have been gone.

Another person talked about in the story HIT another student with a book and was expelled from school. The grandmother is saying RACE made them expel her. NO the face she HIT a student with a book and is lucky that charges weren't filed by the other kids parents. My parent's would have blown a gasket and filed charges in court. YOU can't hit people and not expect something to happen. What the heck. Is it getting so bad that people are going to be afraid to discipline a child in school that completely does something wrong in fear that the race card will be pulled.

I don't think parents should be able to 'pay off' their childs actions, and all be forgiven. I think the school is using this as a way to make money, and when they don't get that, they do what they should have done in the first place, with both students. So, yes, this was unfair, in my opinion.

2BRN2B

No Question
I don't think parents should be able to 'pay off' their childs actions, and all be forgiven. I think the school is using this as a way to make money, and when they don't get that, they do what they should have done in the first place, with both students. So, yes, this was unfair, in my opinion.

I don't think it was unfair. I do think there should be a small fine, but also should include community service to "pay" for the rest of the discipline. Heck, I'd be happy to see the service be all that's required.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"After a semester-long expulsion, her daughter became suicidal, Ms. White said, and began cutting herself with soda can tops. "

Hmmm... Sounds like that girl has some serious problems.

That said, she got expelled for a whole semester just for hitting a kid with a book?? Damn. But if she's cutting and threatening suicide, there are other factors in play and she's most likely been on the radar for awhile because of her history.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Also if I did vandalism at school. My parent's would have paid the fine and moved on..but OMG my life at home would have been completely miserable.

A semester long expulsion is not bad considering what she did. I mean when we were in high school it would have just been a day or so of suspension. Now with the bullying stuff they are harder on them. The kid could have been getting harassed by her and the hit with the book was the icing on the cake for the school.

In 5th grade I told my bully to shut up on the bus and she went crying home to her mom. The school called my mom and her parent's in for a conference. My mom informed the school that this girl had been harassing me on the bus for months and I finally had enough. It was dropped because the parent's didn't know about the harassment that was going.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't think it was unfair. I do think there should be a small fine, but also should include community service to "pay" for the rest of the discipline. Heck, I'd be happy to see the service be all that's required.

You seem to be missing the point. One girl was punished because she could not afford the fine (not because she's black). The other girl received no punishment because her parents could afford the fine. No disciplinary action whatsoever. This is a scam that the school has set up. The last statement in the article " the district had set up a committee to review its disciplinary procedures" is very telling. This article is leaning to make it into a racial incident, when in fact the incident is a policy the school has set up to extort money from the parents.

Wait...I didn't see more of the story below the pic.

I'll be back :wink:

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Being fined for kids fighting in school? This didn't happen when I was in school (along time ago). You got in a fight, you were either suspended or expelled (depending on the severity) and the parents dealt with you. And back then, the parents DID deal with their child and there was likely no future problems (with a few exceptions of the typical troublemakers). No cops, no fines, no criminal action... Our schools have really gone nuts. Or maybe our kids have gone nuts because parents just don't take responsibility for their own kids anymore.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Okay. After reading the rest of the article, I stand by my assertion that the school is extorting money from the parents. If the parents can't pay the fine, then the nature of the punishment changes. This is absolutely unfair.
As for the rest of the story, it's basically just there to back the accusation of their kids beating treated differently because of the color of their skin. This may or may not be the case, because we never know who's telling the truth.
The answer? Make the punishment the same across the board (it'll never happen), don't use fines that can get kids off the hook if the parents can afford it. Punish the kids according to their deeds, and treat all deeds as if the child has committed murder.

I've been through this crap. If the school staff would do their job, if parents would do their jobs, then this stuff wouldn't spiral out of control. That's not going to change, so the best the school can do is make the punishment the same for each child.

limblips

PREMO Member
It was not a fine. It was restitution. One paid restitution to fix the damage, one didn't. The one that didn't was charged. Why should she be let off without paying for the damage repairs?

itsrequired

How much do you think it cost the school to have someone come in on the summertime to paint the wall?

itsrequired

I've been through this crap. If the school staff would do their job, if parents would do their jobs, then this stuff wouldn't spiral out of control. That's not going to change, so the best the school can do is make the punishment the same for each child.

How is the school staff not doing their job?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It was not a fine. It was restitution. One paid restitution to fix the damage, one didn't. The one that didn't was charged. Why should she be let off without paying for the damage repairs?

Why couldn't she be allowed to work it off, if she couldn't afford the fine? Hell, we're even offered the opportunity to do that for speeding tickets. Get a speeding ticket, pay the fine, or work it off. Extra punishment isn't levied unless we do neither.

It's extortion.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
How much do you think it cost the school to have someone come in on the summertime to paint the wall?

They have to paint those walls anyway. You think they catch every kid that writes on the walls? By your logic, each kid should pay the fine, whether they were caught, or not.

itsrequired

Why couldn't she be allowed to work it off, if she couldn't afford the fine? Hell, we're even offered the opportunity to do that for speeding tickets. Get a speeding ticket, pay the fine, or work it off. Extra punishment isn't levied unless we do neither.

It's extortion.

It's restitution. Extortion? Maybe. It's done every day. Someone steals something from someone else and they tell them to repay it or they will charge them. That's extortion technically. If both of those parents offered to pay to clean the mess and the school refused but wanted them charged criminally, you'd be saying how stupid the school is. You can't have it both ways. The school tried to rectify this without involving the authorities but the other parents refused to cooperate.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The school tried to rectify this without involving the authorities but the other parents refused to cooperate.

Which would not have happened if the punishment had been appropriate. There are parents who can't even afford to send their kids on field trips. Why on earth would a school put a fine like this in place? Because they want the money. We can argue all day long, but you're not going to get me to agree with you.

itsrequired

Which would not have happened if the punishment had been appropriate. There are parents who can't even afford to send their kids on field trips. Why on earth would a school put a fine like this in place? Because they want the money. We can argue all day long, but you're not going to get me to agree with you.

Nobody will get you to agree with them once you have spouted off. That's just who you are. $200.00 in the summer time to have someone come in and paint a commercial business wall isn't too much in my book.

When was the last time you paid a painter?

You still haven't answered how the school is at fault.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I assumed the fine was to pay for the removal of the graffiti and replacement of any damaged property